Vehicles

Mark K

I think it's time to put my beloved Toyota Tacoma out to pasture. At 220,000 miles, she has been a faithfull servent. My impulse is to go out and buy another brand spankin new one, but I'm going to try to be "greener" this time. I have an 80 mile a day commute that totally sucks.

I'm thinking wagon/hatchback. I want:

Great mileage. 29 plus highway

Enough room for a bike in the back with seats folded down.

Capable of ungodly miles with few repairs.

It would be nice to throw a canoe on top too.

I have looked at the Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Honda fit (if it were any smaller it would fit your pocket). Any other recommendations?

Being green is depressing. as Kermit once eluded to. If you are a car guy it's hard to get excited these vehicles.

I've got a '04 Saturn Vue with a V-6 Honda engine in it. I get just over 28 on the highway, have put two bikes in the back with the seats folded down, but have yet to toss anything on top. (Except bird poo, which I didn't actually place there!)

2 bikes!!! 28 with a V6??? No problems?

I'm leaning towards a Subaru Outback for my next vehicle. Easier to hoist a yak on top, room in the back for my dog. Not quite the mileage you're looking for, but it has a great track record. My in-laws have a Vibe and they love it. Lots to choose from.

Jude-ever listen to Car Talk? Click and Clack don't have positive things to say past 60k/

Picked up an 95 Odyssey which is really a station wagon. a few months ago, A fantastic design but really poorly executed interior. I took the entire dash apart and superglued it back together. A bike fits in back (as welll as a fly rod) without taking the wheel off.. The motor at 150K is much louder with valve noise, than my Tacoma with 220K.

the vibe and the Matrix look like functional but frightfully cheap ass vehicles. I would hate to get into an accident with one.

I went to VW dealer and fell in love with everything on the lot. GTIs, Jettas and Passats.

Mazda 6 sportwagon.

mazda-6-sportwagon.jpg

+

Mazda6_Wagon_bike.jpg

+

mazdakN.jpg

=

thumbsup.jpg

Mine is outfitted with the Jim Jozwiak rod holders (best damn thing I've ever seen Joz!!)

There's all your room. Bikes inside or out. Kayak on top. plenty long enough for 9' one piece rods. 29mpg with a K&N. 250 hp. Comes with the retractable dog net that seperates the rear fold down seats from the cargo area, which works awesome (my dog is 100lbs and spins around back there with room to spare.) Plus you wont look like you're driving a grocery-getter. The only other cool lookin' wagon on the market is the Magnum...which has some bad reviews out there and isn't really worth it unless you get it with a HEMI....at which point you just took your 29 MPG and cut it in half because no one drives a HEMI like a normal car.

Mazda 6 Hatchback is a good option.

Don't be the "ANTI", I picked up a used 2004 E-150 Chateau Van

w/ the 5.4 Triton V8. I practically stole it for what I paid but talk about

being 180 degrees the other way, WOW. Not so green but I've got plenty

of green left to spend elsewhere, say @ Speedway or Marathon??

This one's got everything except the gas station to run along side of me.

Mazda 6 Hatchback is a good option.

Don't be the "ANTI", I picked up a used 2004 E-150 Chateau Van

w/ the 5.4 Triton V8. I practically stole it for what I paid but talk about

being 180 degrees the other way, WOW. Not so green but I've got plenty

of green left to spend elsewhere, say @ Speedway or Marathon??

This one's got everything except the gas station to run along side of me.

Brian-

I drive 40 miles ONE WAY to work. 80 miles a day, 400 a week just to and from work. Going to the Kank is a 100 mile round trip for me. Aside from totally breaking me financially, a V8 would be pretty environmentally unresponsible. I already have 2001 Blazer with a Vortech V6 that I don't drive becuase it's such a gas pig.

Actually I'm embarrased to own it.

My eventual goal is to move close enough to work to bike there.

Click and Clack wrote about the Outback recently and didn't say anything bad. The gist of the question was "4 cyl or 6?" to which they strongly leaned towards the four. The four wheel drive feature is a plus when compared to other small wagons.

That Mazda looks like a honey. I assume the antenna comes off when you put a yak on top?

Click and Clack wrote about the Outback recently and didn't say anything bad. The gist of the question was "4 cyl or 6?" to which they strongly leaned towards the four. The four wheel drive feature is a plus when compared to other small wagons.

That Mazda looks like a honey. I assume the antenna comes off when you put a yak on top?

this goes back a few years so I might be mistaken regarding the outback. They are sharp. So is that Mazda.

Yes. Antenea comes off.

For what it's worth, I'm a car freak. I've had vehicles from a 69 charger 440 R/T to 3 suped up civics , a mustang or two, a chevelle, an S10, a toyota truck, etc etc etc etc. I've totally switched over (from hondas, which were the best of the bunch for this racer) to Mazdas. I have the 6 and the 3 and just traded in a protege5 (I should have just stored that one for weekends. Ugh). It's all personal preference but for me I had to go with Mazda. From a big guy/ sportsman point of view it's an awesome fit. If I wasn't in that I'd go Subaru. But with Subarau you gotta go full-bore turbo. I suggest the WRX so you can do your own rally race to your favorite fishing spot. :lol:

Oh..and Mark, do you remember when we were looking at those swords at the fishing show a couple years ago?

My wife has a Matrix(same thing as the Vibe), great car-excellent gas mileage. It could have a little more accelleration but it's small 4-it's powered adequately. I carry the kayak on it with a Yakima rack, since it's a hatch there isn't a trunk to lift it over so that's nice. I can run 7' rods from the hatch to about the front visors, if I was doing that with a passenger I'd probably want to fix them to the center somehow. The nice thing about the Matrix is the hard plastic when you fold down the seats, you can really get a ton in there, my wife just took her bike to the loop the other day and didn't have to remove any wheels.

My wife has a Matrix(same thing as the Vibe), great car-excellent gas mileage. It could have a little more accelleration but it's small 4-it's powered adequately. I carry the kayak on it with a Yakima rack, since it's a hatch there isn't a trunk to lift it over so that's nice. I can run 7' rods from the hatch to about the front visors, if I was doing that with a passenger I'd probably want to fix them to the center somehow. The nice thing about the Matrix is the hard plastic when you fold down the seats, you can really get a ton in there, my wife just took her bike to the loop the other day and didn't have to remove any wheels.

Lot of nice cars out there but the Matrix is winning out of cost, mileage and cargo space.

how many miles so far? No problems yet?

Ah...yeah...Why?

I bought Budd's hanzo sword and had Madsen sign it. I keep it in my car and use it on carp.

Ok..ok..so the second part isn't true. But the first part is.

Here's a good site to check out all the stats on what you're looking for:

http://autos.msn.com/research/category/def...category=wagons

I highlighted wagons for you.

The ultimate being one of the BMW sleds. I'd love to have one of those.

I bought Budd's hanzo sword and had Madsen sign it. I keep it in my car and use it on carp.

Ok..ok..so the second part isn't true. But the first part is.

Here's a good site to check out all the stats on what you're looking for:

http://autos.msn.com/research/category/def...category=wagons

I highlighted wagons for you.

The ultimate being one of the BMW sleds. I'd love to have one of those.

Too cool. Thanks for the link.

I've got a Honda Civic and I like it. The downside is it is small but I think it is bigger that the fit. I've got up to 42MPG with it on an all highway tank of gas. Real life 32-35MPH with a lot of in town driving. Hondas have a great reputation for not needing much work done and they have great resale value. Look at 2002 Honda values compared to 2002 models of other cars and their values. You can put canoe or bike racks on anything.

Now THIS is hard core!

Mid-engine Porsche Cayman S. Two seater. You'd be surprised at how much room the front and rear boots have. Some day! B)

Fun topic for discussion.

Yikes! Are you kidding me?????????? Tell me he didnt bury an eye bolt in the front bumper for the tie down.

I cant believe they make a rack for it. Well I guess I have seen Porsche's with ski's on the top.

Lot of nice cars out there but the Matrix is winning out of cost, mileage and cargo space.

how many miles so far? No problems yet?

about 40K miles. There's kind of a weird smell when she puts on the defrost/heat but that's about it, that and it getting hit while parked in a lot in the city. If you're looking at 4WD though I'd go with a Subaru Outback(or if you need to tow anything). Overall it's great bang for the buck.

about 40K miles. There's kind of a weird smell when she puts on the defrost/heat but that's about it, that and it getting hit while parked in a lot in the city. If you're looking at 4WD though I'd go with a Subaru Outback(or if you need to tow anything). Overall it's great bang for the buck.

HA. Between my stinky wading boots and bike clothes, the odor coming out of the defroster will be a breath of fresh air.

I'm waiting for the new Jetta Sport Wagon to come out. It will be available in a TDI version.

Now THIS is hard core!

Mid-engine Porsche Cayman S. Two seater. You'd be surprised at how much room the front and rear boots have. Some day! B)

Fun topic for discussion.

How'd you get a picture of my car?