Fox R./Wade Sat 7/13

Water and weather dependent we'll do a float trip on the Fox R. Wading may also be a possibility.

Meet at Georges Family Restaurant  110 Webster St, Montgomery, IL 60538 at 7 am for breakfast.

Otherwise meet on the other side of the river at South Broadway Park at 8 am for shuttle etc.

We'll float down to Saw Wee Kee Park. Looks to be about a 6 mile float.

Please post if you plan on attending, if you'll be doing breakfast and if you'll float or wade.

Should be a great float, don’t miss the breakfast at George’s Restaurant for their “world famous biscuits and gravy “. See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

So.... the weather looks great!

The water not so much. I consulted with our resident Fox River expert and he said 2500 CFS and above we should cancel. Currently the river is running at 2410 CFS. I checked the gauges up north and they were holding steady this morning. Bart and I are considering back up plans and will make a decision tomorrow afternoon.

Stay tuned.....

So the Fox is till clipping along pretty good! After some discussion Bart and I have decided to move this float to the Dupage River. The dupe is still a skosh high but falling quickly and should be in decent enough shape by tomorrow morning.

We are going to meet at Knoch Knolls Park off of Knoch Knolls Road at 8:00 am to set up a shuttle. We'll be floating down to 135th Street. This is about a 6.5 mile float. 

Be sure to bring some food, water and sun protection.

• Kev-mo changed the title to Fox R./Wade Sat 7/13

I Just stopped by the put in location at Knoch Knolls park located at 336 Knoch Knolls Rd, at southern end of Naperville and noticed Dupe is dropping and clearing up nicely. Also  Noticed a lot of terrestrial activity on water surface so bring your top water gear .  We’ll plan to break at Riverview Park for lunch and to stretch the legs so bring a lunch bag and plenty of water..  We’ll want to get on the water early to beat the commercial kayakers so let’s set up our shuttle as quickly as possible. Nice new big parking lot here and will need to drag kayak approximately 50 yards from parking lot to put in next to pedestrian bridge. See you tomorrow.

The Dupe did not disappoint us.  We got the float in just in time as Saturday evening rain raised the water levels substantially.  Water level was at 150 cfs (Naperville gauge)when we started float with slightly stained but clearing water.  Fishing started off slowly but picked up midway through the float.  Kevin picked up three beauties, including 18” and 17.5 “, near a bridge piling and fishing activity really picked up from there. I picked up three smallies at same bridge piling swinging a Murdoch Minnow through the hot area. Topwater activity later picked up for me and I found the black boogle bug to be the hot fly.  My biggest smallie (18”) however, came on a  smaller hunter green boogle bug.  Seemed like all the fish had extra spunk in them putting up great fights with aerobatic leaps out of the water. Unfortunately, we had to paddle the last mile of float to avoid approaching storm and we pulled our kayaks on the 135th St boat ramp just as the rain started.  As a result we passed over some great fishing water.  Ended up being a good outing as Kevin and I each landed 18” and 17.5” smallmouth apiece and about 30-40 total. Short on time right now but   I’ll post some pics from the trip shortly and look forward to seeing Kevin’s recap and photos.

Bart summarized the trip quite nicely. Here's a pic of my biggest. It was 18-18.5. Also a pic of the storm rolling in. I mostly fished a small square bill, Lucky Craft BDS1. However based on the flurry of activity at the one bridge I feel like those fish would have hit anything. I can't believe I used to slog through all that eel grass in my waders! So much nicer floating over it.

18.5 071324.jpgstorm.jpg