Simple bugger

the hooks are jig hooks from cabelas. can’t remember the weight but heavier than any tungsten beads I have around. 

with all this rain I may shoot these near the soft(ish) stuff near the banks this weekend. 

IMG_5751.jpeg

Those look really good! I'd be curious on weight... they look 1/16 or 1/8. How heavy of stuff can you guys throw? I mean I get that it's all related/relative (line, rod etc.) working together. But at what point would you be better off just using spinning or baitcasting gear? Or would you just up a rod and line rating to be able to throw a heavier fly?

28 minutes ago, Kev-mo said:

Those look really good! I'd be curious on weight... they look 1/16 or 1/8. How heavy of stuff can you guys throw? I mean I get that it's all related/relative (line, rod etc.) working together. But at what point would you be better off just using spinning or baitcasting gear? Or would you just up a rod and line rating to be able to throw a heavier fly?

I think you’re correct at 1/16th. 

and great point. i’ve seen a lot of use of the “mono rig” lately. like a 50 foot section of 8 pound mono so that the fly line never leaves the reel. in order to cast need more weight. but aren’t we converging on spin casting?

and for me personally: this is as heavy of a fly as I’ll use. the cast is not pretty: at this point i’m “water loading” on the back cast. probably the word “flinging” is the best description. I go as high as using a 6 weight rod. for me that rod is as heavy as I want to use (from the level of enjoyment). I have a 10 foot 9 weight that is a broomstick. 

Nice bugger.  Weight might be an issue, but casting and casting well are two different things. Flipping these out from the bank might be all you need with a 9ft rod. Now if you’re looking for a big double haul cast… try not to ping it off your rod…  I’ve got a 7w on its way to TFO, I’m speaking  from experience. 

that estaz looks pretty bushy but I’d still try and wrap the hackle feather from the tail to the head instead of just a collar. It helps give the fly more body and taper.  Looking good tho! Report back on how it goes. 

8 minutes ago, Ben K. said:

Nice bugger.  Weight might be an issue, but casting and casting well are two different things. Flipping these out from the bank might be all you need with a 9ft rod. Now if you’re looking for a big double haul cast… try not to ping it off your rod…  I’ve got a 7w on its way to TFO, I’m speaking  from experience. 

that estaz looks pretty bushy but I’d still try and wrap the hackle feather from the tail to the head instead of just a collar. It helps give the fly more body and taper.  Looking good tho! Report back on how it goes. 

yea i got lazy and didn’t feel like counter wrapping with wire. 

i hear you on the double haul. i’d also like to not smack myself in the back of the head!

7 minutes ago, Urbs said:

. I go as high as using a 6 weight rod. for me that rod is as heavy as I want to use (from the level of enjoyment). I have a 10 foot 9 weight that is a broomstick. 

There’s some serious ground between a 6w and 9w.  Don’t count out a 7 or 8 weight for potential trophy bass on decent sized water. They are ideal for casting heavy or bushy predator flys. 

34 minutes ago, Ben K. said:

There’s some serious ground between a 6w and 9w.  Don’t count out a 7 or 8 weight for potential trophy bass on decent sized water. They are ideal for casting heavy or bushy predator flys. 

i hear ya. but from the euro rods and small crick driftless glass rods i’ve bought lately i’m getting serious stink eye from my old lady!

57 minutes ago, Urbs said:

i hear ya. but from the euro rods and small crick driftless glass rods i’ve bought lately i’m getting serious stink eye from my old lady!

I got bit by the BFS bug and trout fishing about 6 years ago. There's a glass rod that Daiwa makes that I'm drooling over.... wife would be okay with it but i need to convince myself haha

43 minutes ago, Kev-mo said:

I got bit by the BFS bug and trout fishing about 6 years ago. There's a glass rod that Daiwa makes that I'm drooling over.... wife would be okay with it but i need to convince myself haha

i’m not ashamed to admit best day i’ve ever had in the driftless was on panther martins! it is a blast