2024 Road Trip on Menominee River

This was my 3rd year at Tinkers dam. Really nice to see some familiar faces as well as a low clear Menominee river. I Fly fished from my Kayak, Tom’s boat, along with some wet wading. We had some cooler weather come through and I didn’t see as much chasing or shallow activity as others mentioned, but we all sure found some nice ones. I finally got 20” with Tom Loo. It tore apart my articulated pink streamer and jumped 3 times before running down deep. Caught 5 other bass over 19 and plenty smaller but I wouldn’t say in great numbers. Really weighted towards the big ones. Fantastic river, fantastic company. Hope to go back! 

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5133.jpeg

IMG_5125.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The first 2 days, I fished with Alan out of my boat. He did really well, boated 30-40 on each day included several 19”+ and his river PB of 19.75”. Meanwhile I was struggling. I couldn’t hook anything larger than 18” and boated only a few fish each day. The third day, I fished with Ben in the morning. And Ben did well also. He boated many quality fish including a 20”er – his PB. Again, I continued to struggle.  After lunch Ben was spent and wanted to just hang around the cabin. So, I went out by myself and found my rhythm – boated many quality fish including a 20.5”, a 20”, and a 19.5”.  I also hooked into a 4’ sturgeon, fought that monster more than 30 minutes and brought it to the side of the boat 3 times.

I think because of the river was at an extremely low and clear state, the fish were very spooky; therefore, long casts and good reading of water were necessary to be successful. And the person at the front of the boat had the best chance before the boat spook the fish as we drifting down river. I’ve been coming up with the group 7 times now and every times just I thought I had the river figured out, she throws a curve ball at you and have to relearn.

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4940.JPG

I got around to sorting through my pictures. About everyone else caught at least one 20, I topped out at 19.5" a couple of times. There are rivers around home where you can catch better numbers but none compare to numbers of 18"+ smallies as the Menominee.  I attached one fish picture per day. This river is special!

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

• asherman changed the title to 2024 Road Trip on Menominee River
  • asherman unpinned and locked this topic