Tarpon 1973

Tom L

• 1 month later...

A window into the paste, Key West was a much different place back in the 70's. Those guys featured in the film were writers - Tom McGuane, Jim Harrison, and their friends.  The music was by Jimmy Buffet. They had the flats to themselves before fly fishing for tarpon became a thing and Key West itself became touristy. 

10 hours ago, Tom L said:

A window into the paste, Key West was a much different place back in the 70's. Those guys featured in the film were writers - Tom McGuane, Jim Harrison, and their friends.  The music was by Jimmy Buffet. They had the flats to themselves before fly fishing for tarpon became a thing and Key West itself became touristy. 

I did go to southernmost point which is in that film.  There were some bona fide "beach bums" hanging around offering to take your picture.  Think "the Dude" only less hygienic. So I handed the guy my totally manual Nikon SLR.  It's really old school. No autofocus or exposure.  He was actual a little insulted when I tried to explain how to set the camera.  To my suprise the pic was perfectly exposed and pin sharp. 

I remember going to the bar Hemingway used to hang out in.  Chickens walking around in the street, if I remember right that was on Duvall Street also in the film. 

• 5 months later...

Here is a pretty cool podcast interview with McGuane. He talks a lot about that era in Key West, hanging with Buffet and Hunter S. Thompson, etc. Worth a watch. I'm reading his essay collection "The Longest Silence". Not bad but not my favorite. I have much preferred reading others like Gierach or Robert Traver.