Project to block Asian carp from entering Lake Michigan moves forward: ‘We’re essentially adding a very successful linebacker to our defense’

Just read that. I was reading an older thread regarding Hickory Creek, and someone had mentioned the Pilcher Park dam was potentially blocking the movement of carp upstream. I hadn't considered Asian carp. Hickory Creek flows into the Des Plaines right at the base (just below) of the Brandon Rd. Lock and Dam in Joliet. I'm not sure of the potential of an Asian carp migration through shallow riffles, but that would be one potential argument against the removal of the Pilcher Park dam.

Does anyone know how far they have made it yet?  Are they already in the Des Plaines? The electric fence on the Sanitary and Ship Canal is at 135th Street (Romeoville Rd.) and visible from the bridge over it. I don't know how true this is but someone told me that you can see them from there.  Also east of there are is 12 miles of physical fencing (from 135th street to Romeoville rd. to at least Willow Springs rd. ) that the Army Corp installed.  I think this is to keep potential invasives in the Des Plaines from getting into the canal. .  Are they already there?  

The article states that they haven't made much of a migration past I-55. I'm guessing they're in there. I know one was caught out of the Kankakee a few years back, maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

17 hours ago, Jay D said:

The article states that they haven't made much of a migration past I-55. I'm guessing they're in there. I know one was caught out of the Kankakee a few years back, maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

Yeah, it says no major moves.  If the only thing holding them back in the CSSC is the electric fence then yeah they would have access to the DesPlaines. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, Mark K said:

Does anyone know how far they have made it yet?  Are they already in the Des Plaines? The electric fence on the Sanitary and Ship Canal is at 135th Street (Romeoville Rd.) and visible from the bridge over it. I don't know how true this is but someone told me that you can see them from there.  Also east of there are is 12 miles of physical fencing (from 135th street to Romeoville rd. to at least Willow Springs rd. ) that the Army Corp installed.  I think this is to keep potential invasives in the Des Plaines from getting into the canal. .  Are they already there?  

the 2018 Des Plaines basin survey from the idnr/iepa says no