11/7/2020

i

3 hours ago, Mike Clifford said:

We're promoting political candidates in this group now? I'm out. 

3 hours ago, Mike Clifford said:

We're promoting political candidates in this group now? I'm out. 

Not sure how you would construe my comments as "promoting"   Being hopeful maybe.

I represented the ISA in conservation matters by working with people on both sides of the political spectrum for many years. Mostly environmental advocates. At no time did I ever promote or celebrate a political candidate in the process. Because issues that affect our local environments aren't as simple as that. Illinois smallmouth thrive because of the efforts by smallmouth fishermen that reach beyond boundaries to work towards a solution. Deliberately dropping a hammer on either side ensures a difficult fight for our main purpose. Professionalism and respect is what has worked for us in the past to reach those goals. Anything stating otherwise compromised equitable resolutions.

Understood.  Would you like me to amend my comment ? Given the horrorshow of an environmental record the current Administration has generated I was feeling optimistic.   Nothing I said was meant to negate working with all sides. I’m fact, I’m hoping that is exactly what happens. Thank you for all that you have done, Mike. 

My point was simply to say that national politics has very little to do with the preservation of Illinois smallmouth.  We managed to get meaningful things done by focusing on local issues directly related to smallmouth and their habitat here. A very liberal administration bestowed on me the Environmental Hero Award because of our efforts as a team and our professionalism. We helped to kill a factory farm and a statewide ban on lead in fishing tackle. At no point did we ever get involved in national politics. That would have killed any chance of meaningful dialogue with local decision makers.

Again, understood.  I fail to see how improved Federal regs would  not have a positive ripple effect.  Watersheds don’t have state boundaries. I’m also not advocating the ISA “get involved in national politics”.  Trying to be hopeful here.  

On 11/7/2020 at 7:24 PM, gordon p said:

Again, understood.  I fail to see how improved Federal regs would  not have a positive ripple effect.  Watersheds don’t have state boundaries. I’m also not advocating the ISA “get involved in national politics”.  Trying to be hopeful here.  

Yeah, little things, like the clean air and water act. and defining waters of the US.