Outdoor notebook and bob m

Jim J

Last May or June was the last issue. Bob wrote a thank you letter on the back page.Both Bob and his wife were having some health issues that made continuing the paper impossible. He said in the letter that he intended to continue his radio show. I am out of range for WJOL so I don't if he did or not. As a contributor with pictures and the monthly DesPlaines Lunkerbusters meeting notice, the paper will be sorely missed by me personally. The Lunkerbusters were the first club to use the ON to promote their meetings and many others followed suit over the years. The ON to me was like a monthly reminder of the Northern Illinois fishing community in a way. Bob should be inducted into the fishing HOF in my opinion.

Bob is in the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame. I used to write a monthly article for the publication as well called Conservation Corner. It was hard to keep up the pace after just a couple years, so one can only imagine what he endured to put out such a quality publication since 1981. Just a class act in journalism. None compare. 

Several ISA folks have done his radio show as well. My favorite memory is when he invited me to come on and do an update on conservation, and it turned into a 45 minute radio conversation running the gamut of kids and fishing, invasive species and everything in-between. Still have the audio disk they sent me from that show. What a wild ride Bob provided for us all over these many years.

Definitely a class act and a tireless promoter of the sports we all love and conservation. I know the era of newspapers is coming to an end, but the online sites are not the same. When you think of some of the great writers Bob was able to assemble over the years, it is impressive. Bill Osuch, Frank DeFrancisco, Gino Altiery, Rich Piet, Jonn Graham, and a whole lot of others. A lot of great local information. Glad to hear he is in the HOF.