Tick check

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

Went for a short hike to a creek yesterday after work. I caught more ticks on my legs then I caught fish. Brought one home on my neck too (guess it wanted a car ride). And then found one more today crawling up my kitchen wall.

Tuck your pants in and do a tick check after any tall grass hikes.

Been out fishing three times this year to 3 totally different areas,all three times came out with ticks!!

Guys this is an extremly bad year for ticks, i cant stress that enough. I was actually going to start a topic but Don beat me to it,if he is having the problem near him i would have to say it's statewide.

Is was just down to the river yesterday checking the river levels and a couple were walking there dogs down the park road, they got about 1000 feet and went right back to their car which i was parked near.

The woman was looking the dog over so i asked and she said yeah the dog had four ticks on him in a matter of ten minutes,thats why they turned back.

Its that bad, their even on the road into the park!

April and May are normally the most notable tick infestation month.

Just because your not finding on your person you maybe transporting them into your vehicle, homes or other individuals.

Find a DEET coverage for personal use and remove all clothing before tracking thru your home.

Here's one for you all. My 20's something son and I where fishing in a SW Ohio stream gorge two years ago this month. We beach our canoe so he could pass water under a ledge about 8-10yards away. Upon his return I noticed a tick on his shirt. Upon closer examine we removes 17 of the pesky bugger.

He now uses a repellant.

Jeeeeez!

You guys are scaring the crap outta me to the point I don't wanna leave the house!

:huh:

Cmon, it's just a little bug!

But that little bug makes me itch just thinking about it, i know how you feel Mike.

Seriously Waders are a pretty good answer but not the answer. Like somebody said they travel with you.

The day after i went to the river i had one crawling across my dashboard, i figured he hitched a ride with me or my tackle box as my vest has been retired so im carrying a soft side box for now.

Smashed the living dog poop out of him and he still got up and crawled away!

Picked that little bugger up and introduced him to route 90 at 75 mph's,didn't stick around to hear what he thought!

Since so many people have noticed it and im not imagining it would it be a nice public service to contact the local FP districts and mention it, they may not know it's this bad and could possibly post warning signs at the gates. Thoughts?

i went to my strip mines last sun. and pulled over 20 off in 3 hrs. Pulled one off at ICC halfway thru classes mon. and tues. i hate them lil buggers! :angry:

Hmmmm....I have been out mushroom hunting several times and fishing, not enough times, and havent seen one of those little buggers yet. I have had on waders while fishing. Not so much while mushroom hunting, dont want to make that kind of a fashion statement.

Iam further south, maybe thats the difference?

Anyway, thanks for the "heads up", it really hadnt occurred to me yet.

Those little buggers are nothing to take lightly. One of them gave me lyme disease while we lived in NJ during the 1980s. High fever, little red spots broke out everywhere, and the worst part was a week long killer head ache. I was fortunate that our doctor, a Mexican woman who practiced in Central America for a time, spotted the symptoms at first glance and starting me on antibiotics immediately even though the blood test did NOT shows sign of the disease. In some people the disease flourishes even though not detected by blood work when the red spots first appear. http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9370781

Don't foget to check your dogs after an outing or if you live next to a forest preserve.

Yesterday I mentioned this post to my wife and later to my sons after their soccer practices last night. Later, while helping with the my oldest son’s homework that evening, he’s scratching his scalp and says, “what is this?” Had to yank one off his scalp…those small curved fishing forceps come in handy. Little bugger’s in an alcohol bath for now till we see how my son feels over the next few days.

Worth mentioning is that he hasn’t been crashing through any forest preserves or down by the river….he’s just been playing in the neighborhood and school soccer fields.

Wife mentioned this morning that she’s been “itchy” all last night just thinking about them.

Thanks for the info link Michael.

Can I assume we can bathe ourselves in repellent before venturing outdoors...with a little more confidence?

Should be a fun summer- cicadas driving us bonkers while ticks burrow their way into our nether-regions.

Awesome.

:blink:

Should be a fun summer- cicadas driving us bonkers while ticks burrow their way into our nether-regions.

Awesome.

:blink:

Ha. And don't forget West Nile Virus.

While you're doing those tick checks be sure to use the reading glasses and get the tiniest ones that are easiest to miss. That's the deer tick and those are the ones that can lay you low. I had the um...fortune? of picking up the Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness (STARI) in Smokey Mountain National Park. It's a much milder form of Lyme's disease and it was no fun all the same.

If anyone ends up with a bull's eye shaped rash, get your hiney to a Dr. IMMEDIATELY. Antibiotics cure it, but if you miss the early symptoms, Lymes disease can genuinely damage your long term health.

I can report that after thousands of hours of walking through creek bottoms, even blundering into tick bombs and some of the worse conditions imaginable, I have never had a tick implant on me while I was wearing waders. True, they will crawl on the waders and you have to be careful where you put those after you take them off, but the full body condom is a pretty good defense against most of the nasties out there in our Illinois streams. Except heat stroke.