floating rattle traps

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

now at shabbona the rattle traps are on fire. one anglers suggests using the floating traps when the new weeds startgrowing more. has anyone used the floating traps?. rich

Rich, I picked up a set of inexpensive rattle trap style bait for the kids to cast, I figure less of a financial loss when they loose them in a tree or get snagged on the bottom. Anyhow, my youngest was casting one of them and finally complained about how the lure wouldn’t go down, well I had tied on one that was a “floating rattle trap”. I don’t fish rattle traps that often, so they were new to me, but it might be an interesting bait to fish Carolina style.

The Floating Traps will pick up bigger fish, without question.

Do well with these when reservoir fishing for green monsters.

Caught my biggest smallie (over 19", not quite 20) on a black/silver Floating Rapala (totally different lure, of course).

I love this bait during summer months.

The Rebel Wee Craw eventually took it's place for numbers of fish- but I'm going to stock up on those floaters again this year.

Dance with the one that brung ya, when in a slump- as they say.

• 2 weeks later...
now at shabbona the rattle traps are on fire. one anglers suggests using the floating traps when the new weeds startgrowing more. has anyone used the floating traps?. rich

I only know of a few avid anglers, that favor this lure.

Most anglers don't fish it, so as to make it most effective.

I know one tackle store, who stocks them---but you have to look closely to find them---

they're like, "tucked away", in the unmarked "hot lures" section.

The floating rattl-trap, is a hot item for some anglers, in some small lakes and ponds.

Add suspend dots, to the under side of the lure, so it doesn't rise to rapidly---a SLOW rise is best.

Work the rip-rap and rocky shorelines---a good pattern right now.

TIP---replace the rear treble with a feathered treble hook.

Works for me.