lakes?

Blg281

I am a new member and new to fishing in general, and I am looking fora few good lakes to catch some smallmouth in. any feedback would be great. I live in the Joliet area, but am willing to put up some windshield time for the prize.

I am a new member and new to fishing in general, and I am looking fora few good lakes to catch some smallmouth in. any feedback would be great. I live in the Joliet area, but am willing to put up some windshield time for the prize.

I can think of one...........Lake Michigan :). Also Powerton, south of Peoria, used to be good but its questionable now.

Do you just not like stream fishing. There are alot of beautiful smallmouth streams in your area.

If you would like to find out which streams hold smallmouth attend the outings planned in your area this summer. Check out the calender posted at the top of this page to give you information on outings near you. Since you are new to fishing you will learn alot by fishing with other members.

Forget the lakes. How about the DuPage River? Google the forest preserves and parks in the nearby towns and counties it runs through for legal access. Your windshield time will be minimal my friend.

Big bass are in your backyard.

You're not kidding!

Brian, if you don't have waders you need to get some!

I am going to try for this sunday on the Kankakee, and I try to fish the Dupage( without any luck so far). I am just looking for different venues. Thanks for all the replies and I am looking to get some waders for sure.

Hey Brian,

I wouldn't recommend fishing for them just yet, but Trent Thomas has been trying to re-establish Kakaskia River smallmouth in Lake Shelbyville. The ISA has been helping Trent work with the Kaskaskia population the last few years.

The Shelbyville smallmouth that were originally in the impoundment slowly winked out after Lake Shelbyville was constructed. Trent is hoping to give them another chance to re-establish. Last fall, he stocked about (50?) six to eight inchers near the dam. They were in tremendous condition and almost certainly survived the winter.

Given the fate of the original populations it's not likely they'll reproduce, but the IDNR is trying.