Help With River Name...

Guest Mark P

Guest Mark P

I was checking out Google Earth and saw a fairly large creek/river that run North of 176, between Route 47 to the East and Route 23 to the West and mostly runs along Kunde Road.

Can anyone help me with the name of this water, is it worth fishing, and if so, are there any access/parking pull off points.

Thanks in advance.

Mark P

That would be the mighty Kishwaukee River. Not worth fishing. Nope. No fish there. ;)

Actually, I've never fished it in that area, but my guess is that it would be worth trying.

Guest Mark P

Interesting responses.

I thought it might be the Kish but wasn't sure because of how is meandered.

I've fished the Kish before but further down and did quite well.

Thanks for the lack of help other than the name.

I'm a little disappointed to say the least especially coming from the former fearless leader.

There's a park a 1\2 mile south of the town of Union the kish runs through with two ponds in it. You can Park there and access the river. It was a decent area when I was in High Scool,but that was 14 years ago since I fished that area. So I'm not that much help either. Sorry

oops it's East of Town and called Memorial Park.

Sorry Mark,

I was just kiddin,

It's an old joke around here regarding me not talking about my favorite river or saying there's no fish in it.

Apologies, I knew someone on the boards would give you the right info.

Jim

I was checking out Google Earth and saw a fairly large creek/river that run North of 176, between Route 47 to the East and Route 23 to the West and mostly runs along Kunde Road.

Can anyone help me with the name of this water, is it worth fishing, and if so, are there any access/parking pull off points.

Thanks in advance.

Mark P

Maps are a excellent source of info, which show the roads, and streams.

The Illinois Atlas, as noted in a previous post, is inexpensive and invaluable.

Make an enlarged copy of a section of the map page, of the area you intend to explore---

make notes and take applicable photos.

Make a file and label the file accordingly.

The info you gather, and the details you make, will be of more value to yourself than anyone can give you.

Low water periods, are the best times to explore.

Make notes of the structure(s) and take photos.

Items such as log jams, bridge piling---anything that catches your eye, that you think will hold fish.

By taking the above approach, I've learned more stream and river places to fish, than I could have gathered from all the anglers put together, in the Chicago area.

Sometimes the info you get from others, may not be in the context of what you are imaging.

Someone may describe it to you, but it's best for you to see it for yourself.

You'll have that mental picture implanted in your head.

Taking photos today, with the digital cameras, is so much more efficient and cost effective,

over years ago, when I used 35mm.

I've taken thousands of photos over many years---

made notes, filed them away.

I can go back to my files, pull out the info, photos, sketches, diagrams and such---

go right up to an area or spot, even if I haven't fished it years, and produce fish, under similar conditions.

Also, make a log---a 3x5 spiral notedbook will do.

Label that notebook, with the lake or stream name---note the date, time, water conditions, sky conditions, wind direction,

water levels, water temp, etc.

When you fish it, denote the lures and presentations you made, what were successful to you, for catching fish.

I've found, that most anglers do not want to spend any amount of time, researching and learning for themselves---

they just want others to show them a spot on a spot.

If you're targeting a specific fish species, its a big help to study the fishes habits.

There are many books available on todays market.

One book that I recall at this time, is "River Smallmouth Bass" and "Creeks to love and remember", by Dan Gapen.

You read these books and you'll learn a lot about stream fishing and catching smallmouth bass.

Learning the fishes habits, is key to be successful---you can catch smallies in any body of water in the country, whether it be a stream, river or lake, whether from a bank, wading or in a boat.

It's like with anything in life, the more you work at it, the more you'll get out of it.

There's no such thing as a magic spot---and angler makes his/her own magic spots.

Ken hit it on the head. Too many anglers are lazy and want other people to provide information/spots. Now, sure I have had spots or areas told to me, but many of my prime areas I found on my own with good old fashioned exploring. Exploring on your own is the most rewarding part of stream fishing.

If you think a stream or area looks promising, then go check it out for yourself. Much more rewarding to find your own areas then having other fishermen tell you areas to target.

In addition, books/maps are invaluable. I do suggest the Gazateer map from Delorme and the Paddling Illinois by Mike Svob. Awesome books..................must haves.

For the northern Illinois area I use the Rand McNally 7 County Street Guide along with the Gazetteer. Right now I am looking at 4 public parks along the Dupage River that are not shown in the Illinois Atlas. Boy, does this give me some ideas. On the way to the ISA meeting at Strictly Fishing today, I can get off the Expressway on and head a little south on the frontage road and then take the dead end road west to the parking lot of the Community Park. I'll be only 50 yards from the river near a spot where big smallies roam and I'll..............Wait a minute! I forgot. this is Illinois in April and it's cold and the river is raging, and its snowing in Kansas , and it's coming this way and taxes are due! Aaaarrgghh!!!

illinois