Spinnerbait Blade Options

Mike Clifford

I've recently been faced with some varied opinions and options in regard to spinnerbait blades, and I'm curious what you guys are using.

Typically, I always figured a Colorado/Willow combination did well for me, but I'm beginning to second-guess that philosophy.

Which blades in which circumstances?

I've used a few options (all Colorado, all willow-leaf, combo) and I don't think the bass have a preference.

The willow fall faster and are easier to burn thru the current. I think they're easier to control in the current, but sometimes they sink too fast. I like the combo (Colorado/Willow) better than the all willow.

The Colorado blades start up nice and hang in the current, which allows you to keep them stationary longer with little effort if you hit the target area and are positioned "right" (see Eric's previous posts). However, if the current is strong and your position off, I think they sometimes cause your lure to drift by the target zone too quickly without getting down enough. This is when a heavier spinnerbait will help. The Colorado also throws off a better "thump". This helps when the water is high and murky, when spinnerbaits rule!

I've used a combo Booyah which has been great for me. White is my favorite color. but I've caught them on black, chartreuse/blue, all chartreuse.

Willow or double willow work well in clear water. You don't need that much thump in clear water, and the flash is more important.

Colorado/willow in stained water, not the chocolate milk that we have in the rivers now.

Colorado in murky/deep applications.

I have many applications using Colodaro, willow leaf and Indiana.

I've been experimenting with the V-blade or a V-blade with a small Colorado. This offer a really erratic action.

Its like a bass agitator along deep stone edges of deeper cuts and banks.

OH! Watch out! The river muskie are attracted to them, too.

Guest Don R
As a no-fail default bait, my bread and butter for smallies a 3/8-ounce Terminator Super Stainless in "white thumper". The model is TS386SC.

All that said, you can't catch anything if you're not on the water. Get out!

I used the same spinner bait to catch this 14 lb drum at Pickwick Lake in Alabama.

Not my target species but one heck of a fight!

• 3 weeks later...

Replace the swivel with a small "snap swivel" on your spinnerbaits.

This will allow you to make rapid changes from one blade to another.

EXPERIMENT!

Make up a small single tray tackle box---make up a kit with various blade sizes and styles---

to facilitate the spinner bait sizes you stock.

For most shallow stream fishing, my most productive blade is a DEEP cupped colorado,

hammered copper.

I stock blade sizes #3, 4 & 5, in by blade kit.

A DEEP cupped blade, produces more thumping & vibration---

and can be fished at a slower rate.

Most suitable for stream fishing.

SLOWER retrieve is better.

Spinnerbaits---after dark HOT summer months are "outstanding" lures.

My most productive summers night fishing, is with spinnerbaits.

Be careful while wading after sundown or dark---when a fish gets close in the "seam" where your standing, he'll rapidly swim upstream right between your legs. You don't want to be in this position, standing on "one" leg after dark, trying to get untangled---been there, done that.

A big fish can cause you to lose your balance and knock you over.

Many fish hit on a short line, and sometimes right at your feet, when lifting the lure out of the waters.

To minimize getting tangled---keep the rod to your side---DO NOT lift the lure of the water, on the downstream side of your legs.

The big splash, or noise, can scare the bee-gee-bees out of you.

WARNING: If you have a weak heart, or can't stand the excitement, DO NOT attempt this type of fishing.

I prefer Indiana blades with a good ball bearing swivel with a snap on the end to facilitate change as Ken says .

I think Indiana blades ae better as they have less lift than a Colorado and can be fished slower than a willow leaf . For me at least it is easier to maintain a slow roll near the bottom with the Indiana blade .

I also like to jig my spinnerbaits on a quarter cast and once again it is easier to maintain the right depth/speed control with the Indiana .

Now if we are talking skinning the bark on flooded trees in high water events give me a big Colorado with lots of thump .

You can also take the skirts off and replace it with a twister tail for something a little difference .

As Eric says though the biggest thing is using what you have confidence in .