Mushmouth...or something like it anyway

Michael T

Looks good to me Michael but then again I never tied my one lure. I don't think it is ugly though and it may justy be the ticket for a Spring Time Smallie.

Michael,

I'm somewhat envious that you can go out and test your new creation today.

I like the shape/proportion of the head and eye(s). It's very minnow like.

Keep on inventing, bro.

Cory <0))))><

Looks great! Is it fairly easy to tie, or more complex? Some type of synthetic hair? I like the low center of gravity of the added "ballast"!

Let us know how it acts in the water.

I wish I could tell you it was a smallie magnet, but this wasn't ideal river conditions. The water was fast and muddy. However, the next time I tye one it will have one or two fewer beads....between the 25+ mph wind gusts and the fly's weight, I was chucking and ducking! I also will figure out an easier way to tye it.

The spring thaw has increased the DuPage's flow and wading upstream was pointless if not impossible. But it was GREAT to put the waders on and a few kick river rocks around.

By the way, the hook is a #2 3x-long, to provide a little perspective.

Bob: I tyed on a strip of 40lb mono (to big for this application, but all I had) at the hook eye and pointed it in the opposite direction from the hook bend. Once I had tye on the material and got close to the hook point, I pulled the mono to the hook bend and threaded on 4 beads then tyed the mono onto the shank at the point where the bend starts. Yes, they do clack together when the fly is shook, and I'm assuming they do make some noise under water as well. As Al O. put it, those beads on a loop acts as a balast and makes it ride hook point up. I can't take credit for the "balasting beads" idea, it came from a web site http://www.bouncerflies.com However, the concept worked beautifully in the water; I could feel the fly bouncing along the bottom and it never snagged.

Jude: the next thing you know, I'll be fishing your home waters catching all those big smallies you should be catching! :lol:

My goodness,

I'll be dog-gone. Darndest thing. I went to the site. Thanks for putting it on your reply. That's really interesting.

I'll take it you've not had the opportunity to fish it on the K3 or Fox just yet. The presumed "bounce" you might get could be interesting. Let me know, please, how it does: both in terms of catching fish, but also in terms of snagging up, or not.

bob