Buzzbait Fly?

sambennett

Hey Folks-

Started getting into the fly thing a bit. When gear chucking I love the buzzbait.

What type of fly is going to make me as happy as when fishing a buzzbait? It needs to be small enough to throw on a 4 wt.

The only fly I've thrown yet is a green muddler and it's fun enough. But it ain't no buzzbait. What's the analog in the fly fisherman's world? What's the awesome topwater?

-SB

A sparsely dressed Blockhead or Lefty' s Bug would work on that 4 wt. You would work it fast to emulate a Buzz bait. I am working on a fly rod prop bait that should cause a ruckus on top, but the 4 wt May not be up to slinging it due to its size and weight.

On the whole, I'd say the buzzbait is one of those lures that emphasizes things that flyfishing is really not meant to do--cover water very quickly and make a ton of commotion. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's one of those, "Well you might as well just fish a real buzzbait" kind of things.

Guest rich mc

closest thing is a fly called the pistol pete . basically a woolly bugger with a bow tie type spinner in front. I have also used my 4 1/2 inch worm on the surface but a fast retrieve is easier with spinning gear. rich mc

Greg's Coffey Grinder is pretty darn good at times...kinda hard to strip it fast enough to emulate a buzzer when that is what they want though...and you aren't going to cast one on a 4wt...6-7wt for the small one...8-9wt for the big one.

Of course, if you are going to do a lot of fast stripping, you need a place to put the line where it won't get tangled. A stripping basket works very well for this purpose. A drift boat works very well also, I have heard. :)

Hey All-

Thanks for the input. I guess I was a little unclear. It doesn't have to be a buzzbait at all - I'm looking for a fly that is as fun to fish as a buzz on gear. Agreed, if I'm going to fish a buzz I'll chuck. I guess my question was really - what's an exciting topwater fly to fish?

-SB

Hey All-

Thanks for the input. I guess I was a little unclear. It doesn't have to be a buzzbait at all - I'm looking for a fly that is as fun to fish as a buzz on gear. Agreed, if I'm going to fish a buzz I'll chuck. I guess my question was really - what's an exciting topwater fly to fish?

-SB

JUDEBUG ,it works!