Killing Steelhead

Ryan Kral

Thanks Ryan.

Live release does not equal survival. About mid season this year, I started using a landing net with "tangle free micro mesh" from my canoe. It makes the whole landing process easier on me and on the fish. I can keep the fish in a soft net in the water most of the time. In trout videos you see this kid glove treatment all the time. Too bad we do not have much survival data on Smallmouths.

Thanks Ryan.

Live release does not equal survival. About mid season this year, I started using a landing net with "tangle free micro mesh" from my canoe. It makes the whole landing process easier on me and on the fish. I can keep the fish in a soft net in the water most of the time. In trout videos you see this kid glove treatment all the time. Too bad we do not have much survival data on Smallmouths.

Yeah, I agree Mike. I use the same type of net the majority of the time. I know their are a lot of experienced fisherman that have no problem landing a fish w/out the net, this is just something to keep in mind. My personal opinion is, even though a smallie is a lot easier to land than say a Steelhead, it is so much easier in general with a net, and I dont even have to touch the fish then. Reach into the net and pop out the hook, dunk the net, fish is gone. The point of the artice wasnt just about using nets though, its just saying be a little more careful about where you land your fish, and dont beach them! Ryan

Thanks Ryan. Very good article. I've been beaching them all these years, but never beached them too shallow and avoided them from flopping onto rocks. I'll have to tail them in slightly deeper water from now on.

Nets have been associated with fish slime removal especially those with cloth mesh.Supposedly rubber mesh is better in this regard.I think lip landing bass if done properly is easier on the fish. In any case being members of the sunfish family bass are less susceptible to harm than trout are.