Dry Fly Hackle Alternatives To Whiting

Forrest Miller

I was wondering if any of you have tried alternatives to Whiting for your Trout size dry fly hackles? I was thinking of giving Collins Hackle Farms a chance but was wondering if anyone has used them before? For around 60 bucks you get his top of the line neck and he throws in the saddle! And yes, I woke up at 0330, couldn't sleep, and decided to get on the ISA forum :)

-Forrest

I say just give it a shot. I probably use whiting more than anything, but only because it's so available. I've used a number of brands, can't remember all of them, and really haven't found any that are totally horrible, but I'm sure their out there. That said, my dry fly tying is pretty limited, because I almost always find myself nymphing, unless their is an obvious hatch going on. Ryan

@Rich, I went back to sleep shortly thereafter! LOL

@Rob, I am familiar with that site. I have been swapping flies and hosting swaps there for a couple years. That is where I first ran into Rich.

I have a call into Collins... His wife answered the phone this morning and said he was out fishing but would call me back when he got in. Sounds like my kind of guy! I will update you all once I talk to him.

-Forrest

He called me back yesterday around 1pm. He said fishing in New York was really good yesterday. After we chatted for a while about that we got down to business. He asked exactly what sizes I am looking to tie. Mostly when I fish dry flies I go to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park down in TN because that is where my inlaws are from and it is an easy sell to get my wife to hop on a Southwest plane and head that way. I travel quite a bit for work and so flights are free and boarding is free :) . Anyways, I told him I usually tie dries from size 12 to 20, with most is the 14, 16, and 18 size range. He suggested I buy his grade 3 capes. He throws in the saddle for free. I believe I am going to order some of his grade 3 capes and see how they turn out. Also, according to his website if you send him a self addressed stamped envelope he will send you some samples of his feathers.

-Forrest