Terminal Hardware for Fly Fishing

Mike G

Here Tim Flagler sets a new standard for informative videos. Morals:

1. After all these years Barbie still has it.

2. Give Tippet Rings and Micro-swivels a try.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/77507727" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://midcurrent.com/videos/attaching-tippet-rings-to-leaders/?utm_source=MidCurrent+Fly+Fishing+Email+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b37cd5591b-Newsletter_October_23_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8efbf3b958-b37cd5591b-18956357

Very entertaining. The how-to unwind package leader is a good tip. I don't use ring on the end of my leader, but I've been using a perfection-loop=knot or a surgeon's-loop-knot instead and loop-to-loop to the tippet. Another point I'd like to point out is that if you want a 3x leader then why not start out with a 3x leader and attach your 5x leader to it and forget about the leader gauge part; of cause this way you will end up with an 11' leader+tippet instead of 9' leader+tippet as in the video. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise, joined the video. Thanks.

At the recommendation of someone at Flytying.com I bought some of these fine sterling silver closed jump rings to tie into the end of my leader from which I tie my tippet onto. Much less expensive than tippet rings sold commercially. I haven't had a chance to actually use them yet but they are tiny, and I can barely get a piece of 20 lb test and a piece of 10 lb test thru them. Just started tying up some leaders using them so I'll post a review later.

http://www.artbeads.com/ss-cjr-fa.html

At the recommendation of someone at Flytying.com I bought some of these fine sterling silver closed jump rings to tie into the end of my leader from which I tie my tippet onto. Much less expensive than tippet rings sold commercially. I haven't had a chance to actually use them yet but they are tiny, and I can barely get a piece of 20 lb test and a piece of 10 lb test thru them. Just started tying up some leaders using them so I'll post a review later.

http://www.artbeads.com/ss-cjr-fa.html

I wonder how strong they are. Say you tied two pieces of 10# mono to the ring and pulled until something gave. It would be great if the mono popped first. As you said, the jewelry rings are less expensive. But is that at the price of literally having a weak link between you and the fish?