Hatch

joshw

That is odd. I haven't seen much Mayflies in my area of the Fox, but have seen a lot of Caddis though. I wonder if it was Caddis instead. The report didn't show a single picture of Mayflies taken in the area. The Mayflies picture shown was taken from somewhere else.

Yes, hex. The link describes the timing of the wind shift from the north, then northeast. They likely are from Wisconsin or Michigan. Mayflies are not strong or likely to migrate on the wing. Lake Michigan here is too deep for large hatches & the rivers are too polluted. Some mayflies are in the middle fox but in small numbers. Still this is improving - in Ottawa there are now large hatches that weren't there 10 years ago Caddis are silt & low oxygen tolerent so there have always been huge hatches on the Fox. What little I've waded recently the silt, wood & even stone have cleaned up from the floods. Next year there will be a big increase in viable habitat & the macroinvertibrate population will build because of it. Expect better spawn success with more clean gravel substrate available & strong recruitment with ample food.

This report is missleading the public. We don't have Mayflies hatches thick enough to show up on the radar, especially along the northern Fox River which the report was referring to. Yes, we may have some Hex and Marchbrown hatches, but very sporadically. I think these reporters couldn't distinct betw Mayflies/Caddis flies and didn't get out to the field to verify the story. Don't be missedlead by the stock photos shown in the report.

I'm pretty sure it was Caddis flies that showed up on their radar screens.

I agree with John re the mayfies origin. The report didn''t attribute it to any of our rivers. I've never seen a mayfly on the Fox.Only caddis as Tom points out.The Dupe has a rare hatch of tiny blue wing olives size 24 & smaller.Oddly hardly ever any caddis despite the silt which happily has greatly diminished in the last cupl of years.The Kank has a nice white mayfly hatch from time to time.I once witnessed while fishing the Kank the biggest hatch I'd ever seen on any river including the western rivers famous for their hatches. I don't remember what the hatch was.What I do remember was there wasn't a single rise. Talk about fishless water!