Where to use the new pontoon?

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, talked to my buddy in the Forest Service, it's true no inflatable pontoons in DPCFP's. He does not understand why, seeing that they are way more stable than canoes or kayaks, and motorless. He basically said its an old rule that needs to be looked at, but probably won't be. So, now I have a new inflatable pontoon getting delivered today, and no idea where to use it. I will use it on the Fox, but I really dont know other lakes, ponds, I can use it on. I live and do most of my fishing in DuPage county, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Ryan

If I were you I would test the DPCFP. From what I understand you need to get a water craft permit to

put your pontoon in the water, so I say if they give you the permit then your good to go.

I looked it up on their (DPCFP) site and can't find nothing that says you can't use a 'toon.

Pages 21 & 22

http://www.dupageforest.com/media/files/cms/GENERAL%20USE%20REGULATION%20ORDINANCE%20FINAL%20100609.pdf

Testing the DCFPD will probably cost you a fine. I've used my pontoon on the DuPage (Will County) River and down at Mazonia Lakes and on the waters of Silver Springs State Park. I've also used it on rivers in Wisconsin. I have a friend who has taken his out on local ponds that are not part of the Forest Preserve District.

It may be worth a visit to the Forest Preserve district office and get an appointment to meet with someone in charge to show them the pontoon. They used to have rules against wading in the DuPage but they dropped it after the ISA had a meeting with Director, Brent Manning. Maybe you can get them to change the rule.

You might want to try Whalon Lake which is just across the border in Will County. This lake is only a few years old. It is a flooded quarry that when flooded connects to the east branch of the Dupage. It has been a catch and release only lake.

http://www.reconnectwithnature.org/preserves-trails/Whalon-Lake

Here's where it's written.

http://www.dupageforest.com/Recreation/ActivitiesAndFacilities/Boating.html

Bring Your Own Boat

Visitors can use nongasoline-powered watercraft — boats, canoes, kayaks and multichambered inflatables with factory-installed hardened floors and transoms — up to 20 feet long on three lakes. Owners must register their watercraft with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and possess valid Forest Preserve District private-boating permits.

Well that sucks!

I really don't understand why places put rules on these 'toons.

The two lakes in my area say that I can use it but I must wear waders to protect me from duck lice.

(as I paddle past the swim beach where 5 & 6 year old children are swimming)

I just don't get it.

Well, good and bad news. The good news, my friend in the Forest Service has scheduled a meeting with myself and a couple of the higher ups in the DCFP, they want to check out the stability of the pontoons. Sounds like they may be willing to work with me as long as they deem the boat stable enough. The bad news, I recieved my boat yesterday via UPS, the box was destroyed, and the plastic seat was cracked in multiple spots. Now Cabelas has to see if they can just send me a new seat, or if I will have to return the whole thing for a different one. What are you gonna do, sooner or later I will get on the water.