Desert Bass Video

Tom L

I've been there. It's a beautiful lake.....very strange though. I could only think of what it would be like if there were "lakes" on the moon. The lake had risen 40 ft. in 30 days when I arrived but the fishing was still pretty good. Yes.....40 ft! I caught smallies and carp in the day time and I hooked into quite a few walleyes off the dock at night.

The lake had risen 40 ft. in 30 days when I arrived but the fishing was still pretty good. Yes.....40 ft!

It must be a very deep lake, yet a fly roder still do well in the shallow.

I had a friend who used to rent a house boat there and they would cruise and fish with down rigger like set ups at whatever depth they could track the baitfish schools at with their sonar. They generally did very well but not my type of fishing when your lodging gets to set the hook. His photos would often depict that same barren landscape but I guess that body of water is really large.

Nice video. I too was struck by the moonscape. I was also struck by the expert making three mistakes in a video less than three minutes long.

1. Holding a fly rod in a verticle or past verticle position while landing a fish is said to put too much stress on the rod. It can lead to a break now or later.

2. Holding a fish in a verticle position for a picture. OOps that is what I did in my avatar picture when I did not know better. It stresses the jaw and lets gravity pull the innards olut of place.

3. Pumping the fish back and forth to revive it before release. Many say this is too much water flow and can drown the fish. The up-to-date recommendation is holding the fish upright in the water till it swims out of your hand. If there is current point the fish's head into the current.

Outside of that...

Mike,

actually hyperventilation occurs in a human not because of taking in too much oxygen but rather levels of carbon dioxide are too low in the blood. Arterial O2 levels remain about the same.

The only two ways I can find that a fish can "drown" is by being contained in poorly oxygenated water or if it is kept out of water too long because its gills require oxygen that is hydrogenated to function properly. We know that fish love to move up into the faster moving water during summer heat because it is more highly oxygenated and I can guarantee that water is moving far faster than I can produce by moving the fish around upon release.

Bad analogy on my part. But maybe yoiu explained why pumping the fish is bad when you explained how CO2 levels affect the human body. The fish does not drown (that would be oxygen deprivation); it undergoes a process similar to human hyperventilation (too much O in the water being forced through the gills). "Forced" is the important word. Too much of something disrupts the balance like the lack of CO2 in the hyperventilated human. We have a lot of similarities with fish.

Anyway pumping back and forth is bad. Moving foreward is OK and may help.

"For a fish to efficiently transfer oxygen from the water to the blood stream, water must pass over the gill surfaces in a front-to-back direction. Moving a fish back-and-forth in the water does not optimize oxygen uptake and can even be detrimental to recovery. Holding a fish steady allow the fish to naturally pulse the gills inducing flow over the gill surfaces."

See:http://www.dnr.state...spx?tabid=18624

http://fishandboat.c...tch_release.htm