Glass beads versus plastic

jim bielecki

Hi everyone,

I read an old Outdoors Notebook the other day and came across a technique new to me...maybe old to you.

It talked about the problem of how plastic beads stick to the fishing line when you use a slip bobber rig and how glass beads prevent this problem.

Anyone who has used it know that every so often the plastic bead will stick to the line and prevent the bait from sinking to the correct depth you want which is the slip knot.

The article suggested using a glass bead because it slides right through the line with ease every time.

Just wondering if anyone uses the technique...not for smallies...just in general...I use a slip bobber a lot on Lake Shabbona for Crappie and Catfish. The article was geared toward Walleye fishing.

Jim B

B)-->

QUOTE(jim b @ Jan 26 2007, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone,

I read an old Outdoors Notebook the other day and came across a technique new to me...maybe old to you.

It talked about the problem of how plastic beads stick to the fishing line when you use a slip bobber rig and how glass beads prevent this problem.

Anyone who has used it know that every so often the plastic bead will stick to the line and prevent the bait from sinking to the correct depth you want which is the slip knot.

The article suggested using a glass bead because it slides right through the line with ease every time.

Just wondering if anyone uses the technique...not for smallies...just in general...I use a slip bobber a lot on Lake Shabbona for Crappie and Catfish. The article was geared toward Walleye fishing.

Jim B

Guest rich mc

most slip floats have a plastic bead inside the stem. you could have a problem if your line is too thick. never had a problem unless my weight is toolight to pull the line thru.. whats more of a problem is using power lines, they are slick and the knot doesnt stay in place long. rich

Jim,

Yes, the glass beads are far superior to the plastic one. I won't use anything else any more. Get Greg Bohn's book "Master the Art of Slip Bobbering". It's geared towards walleye, but the info on using the slip bobbers (floats to Mick Thill) can be used for everything from panfish to muskys.

Can I assume these are sold at the retail outdoor shops, then?

I hadn't even considered glass beads- but I will now.

Thanks Jim!

Hi Mike,

I picked up a pack of 8 at Water Werks on 59, just south of butterfield road. I'm going to give them a try...

For the super line or braid anglers.

Try a aluminum bead made from small tubing. I've used this using a small tubing from my old RC aircraft supplies and a modelers tubing cutter. I haven't noticed any sticking, line fraying and they seem lighter than the glass beads.

Flat lines like MagnaThin and thicker. less supple monofilaments don't seem to work with the plastic.

lighter Mono and florocarbon works better. I use plastic more when light lining. Otherwise go to the glass.