Bronzeback taxidermy

Dana Lee

I have decided after a few years of not popping a smallie or two over 5 pounds, it is time for me to get a mount. I have done a little research, but am looking to those who know their fish. Who did yours, are you happy with it, etc... I want it to be the best.

P.s. I will soon be doing them myself. Bear with me... Couple few under the belt and we won't have this problem...

A lot of people here might be very anti-mount. Especially with a organization that strives for conservation.

With that said, have you considered a replica? They tend to look very well, last longer and a lot of people who done both will not go back to a taxidermy once they have seen the difference.

My father in law is a taxedermist. He has done one skin mount from a Powerton smallie I caught many years ago. He mounted it in a glass case and the smallie is mounted to a rock/gravel pile with a crayfish crawling on the rocks...........very cool. After this many years, it still looks great.

Recently, he finally decided to try a few replica mounts. He was able to get the forms for a smallmouth, walleye, bluegill, and crappie at a very good discounted rate. The forms are VERY expensive in my opinion. Replica mounts do look great and a replica takes away alot of the labor time it takes to mount a fish. But, replicas are normally much more expensive than a skin mount.

I've done deer for a few years. Started airbrushing them too. I want to do fish as well. I'll probably just get a big smallie and big green bass that I've caught to mess with.

By the way I was talking about replicas. Never plan on keeping one. ISA changed this fella.

Guest Bob S.

I have decided after a few years of not popping a smallie or two over 5 pounds, it is time for me to get a mount. I have done a little research, but am looking to those who know their fish. Who did yours, are you happy with it, etc... I want it to be the best.

P.s. I will soon be doing them myself. Bear with me... Couple few under the belt and we won't have this problem...

This is my 22in 7lb. Smallie that came from Lake Michigan (Also is my Avatar). It is a replica done by Joe Fittante in Wisconsin. Take it for what its a great mount but he took over a year to complete it.

www.fittantereplicas.com/

post-1139-0-37055000-1325595982_thumb.jpg