Flapdoodles

Mike G

I have had good results on flies with spinners. In the 60s and 70s, a Mickey Finn fished behind a #0 Marathon Indiana Spinner was a family favorite for Smallmouths in the Quetico. Later Pistol Petes and Spinnered Minnows worked well for me. All of these featured the spinner in front of the fly. Recently Rich showed us how to put the spinner behind the fly with his Smallie Spinner. I was just getting materials together to make some when I saw this:

And then just when you think you have it figured out-for yourself-if not for everyone else—something new comes along. On a trip to Alaska a few years ago, I discovered flap-doodles. These are small orange or hot-pink spinner blades attached to a fly at the bend of the hook with a small barrel swivel. They’re used by guides to get their clients into fish when the kings aren't biting as they could be and they work almost too well. One inquisitive guide discovered they're so effective that a bare hook with the flap-doodle attached worked better than any fly pattern although the lodge manager asked him to keep that quiet.

JOHN GIERACH

NO SHORTAGE OF GOOD DAYS

P. 134.

Oh well!

Sincerely yours,

The Chimpanzee

I tied up some of those Pistol Petes a few years back, nothing more than a wooley bugger with a propeller on the front, but my problem was that they twisted my leader up so badly that I gave up on them. I'm sure they would be effective but I wasn't going to use a small swivel in order to eliminate the leader twist. Anybody have other suggestions?

Guest rich mc

rob, perhaps try the new leaders they have out with a swivel on them.they are very small. one thing about the spinner blades is the fly or jig must have weight to it or the thing will spin. i dont see how he could use one with a bare hook.i have seen some flies witha rear blade tied to mono, it doesnt spin but willflutter. rich

Rob,

Rich has one way to do it. In simple terms put a small swivel on the end of your leader, tie 1-2 ft of tippet to that, and tie the prop bait on. Or a heavier tippet around 8-10# will resist the twist even without a swivel. Then Rich's Smallmouth Spinner has a weighted keel to address the problem.

Since some fairly expensive furled leaders come with swivels instead of tippet rings, I would not look down my nose at the swivel though I have found the heavier tippet all I need to avoid twist with the Spinnered Minnows.

This is pretty off track stuff. My purist uncle never liked putting lead wire in flies or using hardware on a fly rod.

I tied up some of those Pistol Petes a few years back, nothing more than a wooley bugger with a propeller on the front, but my problem was that they twisted my leader up so badly that I gave up on them. I'm sure they would be effective but I wasn't going to use a small swivel in order to eliminate the leader twist. Anybody have other suggestions?

Here's one.Get a spinning rod.One of the biggest joys of ffing is the act of casting.Though I've never tried it with a spinner or a mini spinning lure and never will it's my understanding they make flycasting a clumsy chore.'Nuf said.

it's my understanding they make flycasting a clumsy chore.'Nuf said.

And so does a wet sock fly with heavy dumb bell eyes like a Harry Fodder but many put up with it in order to achieve a specific goal, such as catching fish at or near the bottom in deeper water.

Every fisherman has to decide for themselves how much gimmickry that they will tolerate and I drew the line at using a swivel on my leader. Call it silly, but somehow using a heavier leader would be more acceptable in my mind's eye but that is just me and I would never impose my self-imposed limits in fishing "hardwar" on someone else

And so does a wet sock fly with heavy dumb bell eyes like a Harry Fodder but many put up with it in order to achieve a specific goal, such as catching fish at or near the bottom in deeper water.

Every fisherman has to decide for themselves how much gimmickry that they will tolerate and I drew the line at using a swivel on my leader. Call it silly, but somehow using a heavier leader would be more acceptable in my mind's eye but that is just me and I would never impose my self-imposed limits in fishing "hardwar" on someone else

Often there's an alternative that accomplishes the goal w/o the downside.There certainly is in the example you sight ie sinking lines, more aerodynamic flies,clousers etc adding a small splitshot etc.I'v never used a Fodder but it looks overdressed.I would think that thinning the dressing wouldn't hurt the fly's affectiveness while making it more castable.A friend of mine used it for redfish in the Gulf and found it too difficult to cast.I've used small swivels to eliminate line twist caused by some flies such as sneaky petes.They have no affect on casting and since it's only the tippet that twists they also increase the leader's life by allowing tippet replacement w/o shortening the rest of the leader.