Hair feather craze - $$$ flies

Nate D

Thank you Aerosmith front man, Steven Tyler, for what I now consider your worst feat yet. Forget filling the airwaves with horrible Beatles covers. Forget single-handedly making America care about 'American Idol' for the first time since Simon Cowell ripped William Hung a new one. Your newest act has hit too close to home to not care.

A friend recently informed me that Steve's new trend of using rooster feathers as hair decor has ruffled many fly fishermen's feathers. Grizzly feathers and capes are now being used as a hair extension and prices are climbing. I just checked Ebay...stuff that you find at a fly shop for $30.00 has +30 bids for over $120.00 and higher. Some fly shops have been 'cleaned house' of this fly tying material. If you don't believe me, check out the link.

Check this out: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/wires/06/03/2080.ap.us.from.hackles.to.hair.3rd.ld.writethru.1074/

I can only hope this fad dies as quickly as the Beanie Baby, Pet Rocks, Tickle Me Elmo, bro icing, Shake Weight, etc.

Nate,

Mid-current eMagazine also noted this fad in womwn's hair. I am hoping that the fad will pass as quickly as the Nehru jacket. But it is hard to tell. Maybe the slow economy will be the solution since those feather dews have to cost more than a $10 haircut. :) I checked my usual sources for hackles-Cabela's, Barlow's, and Feather Craft to find that most items are still in stock including hot pink. But a few of the assortments were on back order. I can't tell if this is just a seasonal thing or not.

I will be an optimist and predict that the fad will end soon and be replaced by electronic components braided into hair. About November, expect the hair salons to be holding big sales on shoulder hackles. :D

Stock up!