Float n fly time!

Jonn Graham

With all this cold weather, the river temps. have really plummeted. This is the definitely the time to fish the float n fly. I have noticed that when that river temp gets down to the high thirties and low forties, the float n fly normally will out fish all other techniques (provided you have clear water). Above these temps, the float n fly technique is only fair and does not seem to beat a jerkbait, tube, or other small jig worked slowly on or along the bottom. Here are a couple of nice smallies I caught on the float n fly late in November.

47wx1l5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the other picture. the first pic is an 18 incher caught on the fnf. If you look close you can see the float n fly jig protruding from the fish's mouth.

4gqobba.jpg

I plan to discuss, in length, the float n fly technique at the blowout.

John,

Its one of the tactics I'm using here is southern Ohio that is productive thru the winter. It landed a smallie, several nice rock bass and a small channel cat the past week.

• 2 months later...
Here is the other picture. the first pic is an 18 incher caught on the fnf. If you look close you can see the float n fly jig protruding from the fish's mouth.

4gqobba.jpg

I plan to discuss, in length, the float n fly technique at the blowout.

Jonn, I have some questions for you. Recently, I moved to the Mackinaw River area and want to catch some of those smallies! I used to live near the Mississippi River and got pretty good at catching smallies along riprap shorelines, but with the Mackinaw in my back yard, I need to adapt. I've been researching the float n fly technique. I notice a lot of guys like a real long rod, but they are also tying that fly 10 feet below the float. Surely I wouldn't have to tie the fly that far below the float on the Mackinaw would I? And if I wouldn't, how long a rod should I buy? I don't want to waste my money on something that is unneccesary. It looks like you had a long rod in your pictures. With temperatures in the 40s and 50s in the next week, a lot of snow is going to melt fast and I'm sure the local rivers will rise. Will this make fishing bad? Also, where is this "blowout" next weekend? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Jonn-

I was trying to recall from the presentation exactly how to use this technique, but couldn't remember everything.

Of course, the first one I hooked up was that fly you gave me that I commented on as being a spittin' image of a Kankakee River craw...LOL

Here is my question-

Do you occasionally tip the hook with plastics or minnows this time of year?

I put a tiny plastic crawdad on after a while, but it didn't matter much on this day as the river conditions weren't conducive to catching anything.

If you are float n fly fishing, nothing needs to be added to the little craft hair jigs. If you add a trailer or minnow it severely limits the natural movements of the hair. That jig I gave you at the blowout would not be a float n fly jig.

It would be a jig that you WOULD add a trailer to and fish slowly along the bottom.

hope this helps