Fly guy seeking lure guy help

Nate D

I'm taking my little cousin out on the Fox who probably has no patience for fly fishing. I am going to put a spinning rod in his hands. Not really looking for quality fish as much as quantity. Fishing for anything that bites. I know I will catch flak for asking, but any suggestions as to what to put in this kids hands? Bobber and minnow? Jig? Spinner? Plastics? I've been out of the traditional tackle realm for a while.

Number 6 octopus, medium roach, under a bobber is deadly. That is your best chance to at least getting some thing. Don't under estimate cut bait with a heavy sinker either for cats and other fish swimming by.

Pack a lunch and maybe bring a net for them to scope up minnows and such. It'll keep them busy from boredom. Good luck.

I'd give him an inline spinner or a small, shallow running crankbait like a rapala. Unless the bobber is frequently going under, float fishing can get boring. It also is trickier in a river where the current is pushing the bobber back to the bank all the time where it snags when you hit the shallow water. A jig requires a certain amount of touch to keep from getting snagged a lot so I would probably avoid that. Chunkin' and windin' will keep him interested longer even if the bites are slow.

A jig with a twister tail would be my selection. Chuck and wind just like a crankbait. That way you will not break the bank if you loose a few. You can get both a sack of jigs and a sack tails for about $4.00 - Wally's.