Midwest Fly Fishing Magazine

Nate D

Kurt Kopala and his motley crew are preparing to release a fly fishing magazine for the bass buggers as well as the rest of the Midwest (locations, equipment, fly tying, etc.). Aimed release date is June 15. I believe this could be a great asset for a lot of guys as well as something to read while enjoying fine Kentucky bourbon with a briar pipe full dark Cavendish tobacco.

http://atightloop.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Bout time!!They could ditch the trout junk though.

Mike

I can understand how the senko/tube/thumper guys would have no interest in trout fishing, but flyfishermen? Ffing & trout go together like ham & eggs.I've done 2 Wisconsin spring creek trips this spring & had a great time particularly on the 2nd one earlier this week when the fishing was hot.Catching beautiful browns,rainbows,brookies on tiny flies (especially on dries),5x-6x tippets,& sweet casting 2-4wt rods is a great change of pace from ffing for warmwater species with big heavily weighted clousers etc with 6-8wts. Sure most of the fish are small.But they're challenging to fool & scrappy on the scaled down gear & there are big ones to be had too.My biggest,a 17", came on a size 18 dryfly.Unforgettable, & something only a ffer can experience if willing to open himself up to it.Why limit yourself from all that ffing has to offer, bluegills - billfish?

Is this magazine hopefully a continuation of Tom Helgeson's original with the same writers or an entirely different one?

Guest airbornemike

Agreed Ron, I've been going up to Viroqua since the 90's and it is a very special place. My point was the need for a warm water only publicationin the industry, these boys are on the right track thopugh very cool.

Agreed Ron, I've been going up to Viroqua since the 90's and it is a very special place. My point was the need for a warm water only publicationin the industry, these boys are on the right track thopugh very cool.

Mike

Good to know you also fish trout which didn't seem so with the term "trout junk".Given the title of the magazine it sounds like it'll include both cold/warmwater species as the original did.There's room for both here in the midwest.