Kankakee River Awareness Program

The Kankakee River Roundtable is hosting a free meeting on Tuesday June 7 from 4 PM to 8 PM at the Kankakee Hilton Garden Inn 455 Riverstone Parkway in Kankakee. It's just off exit 308 on I-57 or just off RTE 45/52 a bit south off the Kankakee Comunnity College.

It is part of the Kankakee River Awareness Program concerning the sand/sediment issues facing the Kankakee River.

From the Ill Dept Natural Resources featured speakers and subjects are:

Gary Lutterbie[Region III biologist] K3 walleye stocking program

Steve Pescitelli [ Region II biologist] Kankakee River Fisheries Survey

Jim Mick [ Il River Coordinator] Kankakee River and tributaries flyover

Debbie Bruce[ Office of Resource Conservation] CREP program and Il Recreation Access program

scheduled from 4 to 5 pm for small group breakout sessions

Henrry De Haan Rock Island US Army Corps Enginers on Illinois River Restoration Program and the Kankakee River scheduled 600 to 645 pm

7 to 8 pm

Dr John Marlin[senior Scientist-IDNR] Mud to Parks program and the Kankakee River

Dr Nani Bhowmik[ Principal Scientist Emertius for the Illinois State Water Survey] on Illinois State Water Survey Kankakee River Study Highlights. Dr Bhowmik did the pivotal studies on the sand/sediment issues

We also plan networking and refreshment periods as well as a Powerpoint presentation and a video on the river issues. The brochures we have created will also be availible. It is -planned to have exhibitors booths from interested groups set up tio interact with them.

disclosure: I am a member of the Kankakee River Roundtable and have been working for a long time with various groups on the sand/sediment issues.

Please check out our website at http://www.gokankakeeriver.org It just got launched and we are constantly going to be updating the site with events and links to material that pertain to the issues

• 3 weeks later...

Also we will have speaker from USGS

It'free, you'll find out more about the problems this fine smallmouth river faces.

I hope to see a lot of ISA folk in attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

It's today at 4PM. Door prizes include four $25 gift certificates to area bait shops. Come on out and learn about the problems facing one of the premier smallmouth rivers in the state.

I'll be moderating the session with Gary Lutterbie and Steve Pescitelli. Hearing what two of the biologist involved directly with the Kankakee River have to say is worth the trip.