Temps of Water Bodies

SKollmann

This may have been posted in the past, but unable to locate. Looking for water temperatures for given bodies of water. For example, Shabbona Lake as I'm interested in crappie fishing this month, water temps permitting. I know about USGS for rivers, but would like comparable data for lakes. Thanks.

Steve,

It is good to see someone interested in temps since it is a good starting point for figuring out what may be active and what may work. I usually check water temperature at the surface sometime during an outing and will check deeper to see if there might be a difference. Though I do not always get fish, I almost always get the water temperature. I appreciate it when guys include that in their reports. That being said, After a cold start in April, the surface temperature of Lake Summerset finall reached the low 50s (52-53) on Thursday. For your reference, Lake Summerset is a 280 acre lake northwest of Rockford about 5 miles south of the WI border. In a lot of ways it is simillar to Shabona for fish activity. I hope this helps.

Guest rich mc

reports from shabb are the water was53in most of the lake and warmer in the no motor zone. crappies are holding 6ft down over the campground cribs and brush small minnows have been doing best but i havent fished them with the m and m crappie fly yet.some walleyes caught on teh roadbed last friday were drippin eggs. rich

reports from shabb are the water was53in most of the lake and warmer in the no motor zone. crappies are holding 6ft down over the campground cribs and brush small minnows have been doing best but i havent fished them with the m and m crappie fly yet.some walleyes caught on teh roadbed last friday were drippin eggs. rich

53 vs 53. I guess Shabb and Summerset are a lot alike, Rich. I will have to start hunting Crappies.

Steve, I have never seen a site that covers water temps on say all the lakes in a state. That info tends to show up in bait shop sites, marina sites, newspaper columns, website fishing reports, and lately blogs. Having a list of those sources for your favorite spots would be an awsome secret weapon.