Possible White Bass on the Kaskaskia River 4/30

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

THIS EVENT IS CANCELLED FOR THE TIME BEING UNTIL THE WATER LEVELS RECEDE.

Keep checking back for further announcements as to when we will be able to reschedule this event.

Rob,

I talked with steve b. about a white bass outing and we are going to try one on saturday

the 30th on the kaskakia river. we will meet at the hardees in sullivan at nine o'clock pending

on river conditions. steve is going to let me know thursday about river conditions,he is concerned

about a stretch where it can be a little tricky. hardees is on 121 and easy to find. I will let you know thurs,

about the outing. Could you post this please.

Thank you,

Dave F.

(I'm hoping we can pull this off but as high as the water is right now and the fact that it's supposed to rain all week, does not look good. Keep checking back though for updates.)

Sounds like last year, we kept picking dates, it kept raining, finally we got there after driving through the rain, just to have it stop before we got on the river. I've been tying bunch of white flies, figure that's what we use, but don't know if I can get there Saturday.

Fred,

big difference from last year vs. this season. Last year was relatively dry and very warm early on, at least 2 weeks ahead of the normal season vs. this year when you are seeing river levels in some areas not seen in many years ( in the case of Cairo, IL not since the 1937 floods of the Ohio River) Right now the Kaskaskia flow is 10X the median for this date and depth is 3X what it was last week and going higher :(

I'd say at this point that this coming weekend isn't going to work out for a float on the river. As of yesterday, all the parking lots at the access sites were underwater. All the gates on the roads leading down to the river are probably going to be closed soon as well. Lake Shelbyville is also rising quickly, and will probably soon inundate a lot of the area that is now river habitat.

On a positive note, during periods of high water, the fishing is usually excellent on the upper end of the lake. We usually pick up lots of white bass, crappie, largemouths, catfish, and even some walleye out of the flooded willows. So if anyone is itching to get out, you might consider a day of fishing on flatwater rather than on the river.

-SB

Since the event is not a go, should we be doing something about sign posting down here in God's country, like the boys up north are doing this weekend? Not sure we can put it together for Saturday, since signs and stuff are up north, but maybe some weekend soon? One of the troubles is we cover a pretty wide area. I'm thinking the Vermilion and it's branches over by Danville, The other Vermilion from Pontiac and on to the north up to the Illinois R., the Mack from Goodfield area on down, the Kaskasia, both above and below Lake Shelbyville. Any others? Any interest in helping?

Fred, I can do a sweep of the southern Vermilion River system, Salt fork, North fork and Middle fork to see how many signs we might need but that's a days travel and effort for sure for one person. Would definitely appreciate any help.

I'll probably need to take out a small business loan in order to cover the cost of fuel for my van.

^

^

^

"Not appreciating this at all"

Fred, I can do a sweep of the southern Vermilion River system, Salt fork, North fork and Middle fork to see how many signs we might need but that's a days travel and effort for sure for one person. Would definitely appreciate any help.

I'll probably need to take out a small business loan in order to cover the cost of fuel for my van.

^

^

^

"Not appreciating this at all"

Sounds like an all-day bicycle trip, no gas, good exercise, for a worthy cause.... ;)