Looking for some fly line suggestions...

Paul F

I recently bought a new 6wt rod and I now have a reel to go with it. Now truthfully, I really didnt need this rod but I was looking for something with a little more backbone to throw larger and heavier streamer patterns.

Now it would seem that fishing with floating line is the easiest but I feel that it is a weak link when trying to fish streamers in any kind of water deeper than say, 2-3 feet. I have been thinking about trying a sink tip line or an intermediate sinking line, but my concerns are that they will be too hard to manage. I have been looking at the Scientific angers streamer express line along with Rio Clouser. The SA line is an intermediate sinking type, whereas the Rio is a floating type.

I am really leaning towards the Rio Streamer tip line, as it seems like an awesome product and will be easy to handle.

I guess I am just looking for some advice regaurding sink tip lines versus intermediate sinking type lines... Or am I ok staying with a WF floating line?

The choice of line depends on how you plan to fish it. A full sinking line is a bit more difficult to pick up, but if you do one or two aerialized mends or a simple roll of the line to get the line to the surface and make your backcast while the line is still moving you will have the general idea of how to cast the line. If you have difficulty with this concept the sink tip line makes the most sense since it gets the line down but you don't have to get the whole line to the surface before you make you backcast. It's actually a good line if you aren't fishing below about 5 foot deep. And it's easier to manipulate, mend, etc.

Personally unless I'm fishing real deep all of the time I prefer a RIO Clouser line. It handles the "Big Nasties" real nicely and if I chose I can always still use a popper. You could also use a floating line and pick up a sink tip that can be loop to loop connected to the front of the line between the line and the leader. Or you can use a sink tip leader. I've used all of them and they all work fine. The sink tip adapter that a lot of companies make (i.e. Orvis, Cortland, etc.) are nice since you have the floating line and if you find you need a sink tip you can just put it on right on the stream. It's fairly compact and fits in a chest pack or vest nicely. The Cortland tip is about 12' and comes in 3 ips (inches/sec) sink rate, 6 ips, and 9 ips. I cut it so that I have two pieces of 4' and 8' so that I can vary the amount of sinking line I want depending on the depth and flow rate of the water.

I hope that helps.

The choice of line depends on how you plan to fish it. A full sinking line is a bit more difficult to pick up, but if you do one or two aerialized mends or a simple roll of the line to get the line to the surface and make your backcast while the line is still moving you will have the general idea of how to cast the line. If you have difficulty with this concept the sink tip line makes the most sense since it gets the line down but you don't have to get the whole line to the surface before you make you backcast. It's actually a good line if you aren't fishing below about 5 foot deep. And it's easier to manipulate, mend, etc.

Personally unless I'm fishing real deep all of the time I prefer a RIO Clouser line. It handles the "Big Nasties" real nicely and if I chose I can always still use a popper. You could also use a floating line and pick up a sink tip that can be loop to loop connected to the front of the line between the line and the leader. Or you can use a sink tip leader. I've used all of them and they all work fine. The sink tip adapter that a lot of companies make (i.e. Orvis, Cortland, etc.) are nice since you have the floating line and if you find you need a sink tip you can just put it on right on the stream. It's fairly compact and fits in a chest pack or vest nicely. The Cortland tip is about 12' and comes in 3 ips (inches/sec) sink rate, 6 ips, and 9 ips. I cut it so that I have two pieces of 4' and 8' so that I can vary the amount of sinking line I want depending on the depth and flow rate of the water.

I hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch mike, I have never fished an all sinking type line and I was kinda concerned about the pick up. I am not afraid of a sink tip, as most of the line will be ontop of the water. This new rod feels kind of stiff and I'm worried that using line with a less agressive head on it will not load properly. How well does that Clouser line seem to load up your rod(s)?

This new rod feels kind of stiff and I'm worried that using line with a less agressive head on it will not load properly. How well does that Clouser line seem to load up your rod(s)?

Don't hesitate over-lining the rod by one weight if you're concerned with that. In fact Holschlag feels that over-lining by one or two weights should almost be the norm.

Don't hesitate over-lining the rod by one weight if you're concerned with that. In fact Holschlag feels that over-lining by one or two weights should almost be the norm.

I agree and have been lining up by at least 1 wt going back to the days of glass rods.While having both a floating line & a sinktip is a plus most stream fishing involves water no deeper than 4-5' which can be fished afficiently with a floater & 9' leader & a weighted fly or with a splitshot if unweighted.I don't like fishing flies right on the bottom.Too many hangups ruining good spots.I prefer fishing minnow or leech patterns near the bottom.Crawfish patterns are the exception & even they can be retrieved scurrying along just above the bottom with only minimal bottom contact as they actually do when disturbed.That technique got me some big K3 smallies one summer. Mending helps to get the fly down faster & keep it there longer in current.As Flyrodder Mike points out a floater can be converted to a sinktip via a sinking leader. A full sinking line is appropriate for stillwater fishing only.I prefer Airflo Distance Flylines for hardmouthed warmwater species for hopefully better hooksetting since unlike all other lines they have no stretch.Using hauls any good line especially by lining up should cast big flies well.

I have both the Rio Clouser and sink tip lines. The Clouser casts like a rocket. I don't own the SA Streamer Express developed by Kelly Galloup as its so new. Either one is great but the sink tip will get you down much deeper. You could also opt for the Clouser line with a sink tip made from Deep Water Express. I have made about a dozen sink tips ranging from 3' to 10' with Cortland loops on both ends that way I'm covered for all conditions.

Well I guess I am going to give the clouser line a go ahead then... I was thinking about making some 3-4 feet sink tips for my 5wt anyhow so I will make a few extra for this setup too.

As far as overlining... I overlined my 5wt setup but that is because I was a beginner and everyone I talked to recommended it, I didnt know that it was so popular even amongst experienced fly rodders. Perhaps some 7wt Clouser line along with some various length sink tips for fishing deeper water is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for all the advice and insight guys. B)

With all this concern about fishing DEEP let's not forget that topwater is often as good or better a choice particularly for the big guys.No hanging up on the bottom either.

It would be nice to see in addition to the many general ffing posts more fishing reports (with pics) from all you flyguys this year.