best practices (water purifyer) at Sylvania Forest

raymond k

Going on a 5 day canoe trip into the Sylvania forest near Watersmeet Mighigan .Going in July with my son. Just wanted to ask question on the best product for purifying my water.Any other tips would be appreciated also. First trip of this nature with my son and want to make it as foolproof as possible.Staying at Badger site on Crooked Lake and plan to portage daily to Loon and Deer Island lakes. Thanks

When I was Backpacking in Montana's Glacier Nat'l Park, Minnesota's Superior Hiking Trail and Michigan's Isle Royal I used a PUR Scout water Purifier that pumped water out of a stream or lake and filtered it. I never once had a problem with the water from it and on the Superior Trail brushed aside the algae on top to get at the water. Worked great and I would recommend it or something similar.

Sorry I have no water suggestions...but when I fished Crooked and Loon last year I had great luck with Rapala Original Floater Silver-Size 5, and I caught my best smallie ever on High Lake with a hopper fly pattern that my kid tied. But the Rapala is the easy all around choice if you're using conventional tackle, and room for lures is limited. If you're using fly gear, take a few small foam yellow or black poppers with skirt, size 12-14 hook would be about right, and catch bluegill at will when the smallies slow down. See Bob at the Outpost for one of those bandanas with the Sylvania Map on it. Keeps the sun off your neck, and handy when you get turned around.

Best of Luck! Have a memorable trip, and keep in mind, it's not really an adventure unless something goes wrong.

If you are staying on Crooked, I wouldn't even worry about a water purification system. You don't have to portage to the campsite, so I would just bring several gallons of water. You can cook and clean with lake water as long as you boil it first. The water is pretty clean and clear up there although Crooked is the most fertile of the lakes. Loon lake is unbelievably clear. We usually end up going into town or taking showers 1/2 way through the trip and refill our water gallons then. Depending on how long you are staying, your son may appreciate a small break back to some form of civilization 1/2 way through the trip. Its not like Quetico or the Boundary waters where you could be days away from any roads or civilization.

Sounds like Paul has the best idea based on being there and as he said boiling kills the little bugs. However if you still want to look into a water purifier/filter REI has some good info on their site and they also probably have the best selection.

Basically the pills and UV kill the microbes/parasites that are trying to kill you. Filters will get some microbes, suspended solids etc.

I used the pills once on a trip to the Rockies but there was a waiting period before you could drink the water.

The last time that I went to Sylvania with my daugher, I filled a five gallon plastic water container and put the container in the freezer before I left home. The ice melted slowly and we had nice cold water to drink. We had some water left after 2 and a half days so Paul's idea should work well.