Rabbit Strip Leach

Ryan Kral

Hi guys, Im pretty new to tying, and having a little trouble with the Leech Pattern. When I am wrapping the hook shank with the rabbit strip, I am having trouble getting the fur to point towards the bend. Also, is it ok to just glue two strips to the shanks, on oppisite sides. I did this on my first one because I couldnt get the wrap down, and it looks good. I have seen Rabbit strip bait fish patterns with two different colored strips, on bottom and top of shanks, I am assuming they are glued?

Ryan,

not sure if I'm following your thinking here but this is a simple leech pattern that I've been tying for years. The strip of rabbit zonker is tied in on the top and pierced by the hook. On the bottom, a marabou feather or two is tied in as well. I use a barbell weight in order to get it down and make sure the hook rides up. An older fellow once told me that you just have to let the magic of rabbit fur work for you.

post-485-0-51388400-1295475546_thumb.jpg

Guest rich mc

make sure you are using crosscut rabbit, it will naturally lay back. for making double bunny flies most use the tear mender product to secure the two hides together. it goes on white, dries clear and flexible . rich

Ryan,

To keep things simple let's sort things out. Two strips glued top to bottom is a classic double bunny - a minnow imitator. You can get a leech out of this approach if the upper strip extends out 2-3 shank lengths beyond the bend while the lower strip ends where the bend begins. Next there is the classic leech with the zonker tail and a wrapped shank. Some say you need a zonker strip for the tail and a crosscut strip for wrapping the body. That takes some shopping. But I have it on good authority, Skip Morris, that the crosscut is largely window dressing for sales purpose. Use the same zonker to wrap the body. Though it sticks straight out when dry, it will slant back when pulled through the water.

Tip: wet the fur of the bunny strip to keep it under control while wrapping the body. That way you will not trap any fur under the wraps.

Hope this helps.

Ryan,

not sure if I'm following your thinking here but this is a simple leech pattern that I've been tying for years. The strip of rabbit zonker is tied in on the top and pierced by the hook. On the bottom, a marabou feather or two is tied in as well. I use a barbell weight in order to get it down and make sure the hook rides up. An older fellow once told me that you just have to let the magic of rabbit fur work for you.

Exactely what I was looking for. If I pierce the top rabbit skin with the hook, I dont have to worry about glueing it to the shank as well? Right or wrong? As for the bottom, the same type of marabou like I would use on a Bugger? Again, I'm new to tying!

Exactely what I was looking for. If I pierce the top rabbit skin with the hook, I dont have to worry about glueing it to the shank as well? Right or wrong? As for the bottom, the same type of marabou like I would use on a Bugger? Again, I'm new to tying!

Actually Rob, could you give me a recipe for the pictured patterns you provided, because its just what I was looking to tie. I really appreciate it. Thanks, Ryan

Ryan, I generally use a Mustad 3366 size 6 or 4 hook. They're cheap, buy'em by the 100 for about $8 and can use them for a bunch of patterns. I always said that Mustad must not realize they are used for fly tying or they would triple the price :lol: They're not the sharpest hook right out of the box but as you can see by the tip, a few strokes of a file and they can be scary sharp. Use a couple regular ole' marabou feathers just what you use for your bugger tail, generally in the same color as your rabbit and a 3-4" zonker strip. I've used Magnum zonker strips in the past which are wider than the standard and they really didn't do anything for the fly except make it heavier and more difficult to cast. You get a very nice leech like undulating movement with this fly and I can attest it will catch numerous species of fish, especially in my home waters north in WI. No you don't use any glue with this, being tied in the front and pierced over the hook will keep the strip in place just fine. Hope this helps.