Lucky Craft Products

Paul Trybul

This is the time of year I go through my fishing tackle, inventory what I have, and think about restocking for next year. I was thumbing through Bass Pro's 2011 Master catalog and checking out the Lucky Craft line of hardbaits. I will sing praises for the Lucky Craft Pointer as the best suspending jerkbait I've ever used. At the prices they charge, they better be good. I can see the value in spending more money on a premium suspending lure because good ones are finely tuned suspending perfectly horizontal right out of the box. Cheap suspending jerkbaits tend to float or sink slightly or don't run true at higher speeds. I'm sure the Lucky craft rattletraps and crankbaits are good but how much better can they be than cheaper alternatives? The lure I have my eye on is the Sammy. I tried some walk the dog action with a Heddon super spook Jr. I found it to be a leaf magnet and had trouble getting it to run true. If I invest in a Lucky Craft Sammy, would it help a beginning walk the dog angler get the hang of it? If it is anything like the pointer it should run true right out of the box. Any tips on sizes and colors? The 2.5" size or 3.25" size should be perfect for smallmouth. No other manufacturer seemed to make a walk the dog style topwater less then 3.5".

Paul:

The Sammy is hands down the best dog walking bait to learn on. When I am teaching my clients to walk the dog, I always start them on the Sammy 100. As Eric has already said, the Sammy flat out catches fish. I would definitely buy the 100 size. I first started throwing this bait when it first came out and bought the 65, 85, and 100 size. Now my 65s and 85s just sit in the box........never use them. The 100 is the one. Casts farther, walks easier, etc. The bait, while it is semi-big, still catches small and big smallies alike.

One side note, if anyone is interested in purchasing some used 85s and 65s, I would part with them for $5 apiece. I also have some 100s that are basically new that are surplus baits for me. I would part with those for $10 apiece if you bought all of them (like 3)

I have been a fan of walk-the-dog topwater baits for 20 years. The Sammy, for me, does not walk as easily as a Zara Spook or my current favorite, the Rapala Skitter Walk. It could be that I need to change the way I work the bait. I have found that there are subtle differences in what it takes to make the "dog walk". The speed of your reel, and the timing of your twitches is critical. It's easier for me to change baits than to re-learn a method for one bait. Baits that walk easily reduce the amount of fatigue that comes from working these baits for long periods.

As far as the difference between a Lucky Craft Pointer and a Rapala Husky Jerk as far as it's ability to suspend, I agree with Paul, the Lucky Craft are a superior bait. With a topwater, quality hooks (which can be added to any bait) are important but after that the only the only differences are the body shapes which on a particular day may or not make any difference to the bass. Having a variety of baits, of different sizes, some with a loud rattle, some quieter, some with a cup shaped lip, some without may make a difference. There aren't a number of choices to be made on walk the dog baits.

Another reason I don't fish the Sammy as often as others is when I'm fishing pike or musky waters, I'm uncomfortable with losing $16 baits to bite offs.

For those that haven't used walk-the-dog baits, zero stretch superlines or heavy mono that doesn't stretch easily makes the job MUCH easier. Having to adjust your cadence and timing to adjust for line stretch is very tricky.

Thank you for the tips. I'll pick up a sammy 100 and join the party. I did find last year at times a smaller topwater outproduced bigger topwaters. It probably had more to do with the forage size/profile on the lake I was fishing. Since I am going back to that lake in 2011, I wouldn't mind having a sammy 65 or 2 in my arsinal.

Jonn, If you bring 2 used sammy 65's to the blowout, I'll buy them from you.

When I'm not fly fishing, the Sammy 100 is my favorite lure to use. I would rather catch 10 bass on it all day than 20 on plastics. Besides, topwater bass tend to average larger.

As for losing them to the toothy critters, I used to have that fear but I think I have lost only two in the past few seasons - one to a bite off and one to a monster smallie, and I fish in plenty of pike and musky water. I have had up to a dozen Sammys in my possession at once. Kind of like collecting fly rods!

Use them.

Gavin:

You bring up a good bait - the Gunfish. While the Sammy is great and all, the Gunfish will do everything the sammy will do but also has a cupped face that throws a little water. It is a cross between a popper and a walker. Truth be told, if I was going to go out and buy a walker right now, I would buy the Gunfish.

Gavin:

You bring up a good bait - the Gunfish. While the Sammy is great and all, the Gunfish will do everything the sammy will do but also has a cupped face that throws a little water. It is a cross between a popper and a walker. Truth be told, if I was going to go out and buy a walker right now, I would buy the Gunfish.

I have a Gunfish and I don't feel it walks as well as a Sammy. Which model do you have?