ISA and the Outdoor Channel

To make a long story short, I was recently asked to head the Illinois faction for this ambitious attempt by the Outdoor Channel to recruit 1 million people nationwide in the next 5 years for conservation.

The owner of America's Outdoor Show (the 'Rosemont Show') invited me to attend his annual luncheon for 50 outdoors writers where the television show reps will be on hand so he can unveil our participation in this program. I was told the ISA history of commitment to conservation is such that we are the hands-down favorite to make this happen in our state.

What I intend to bring to this luncheon is a strong message to everyone, as well as a clear and concise path towards reaching not only the goal of the OC in their quest, but outdoors opportunities and conservation in general.

2011 is going to be groundbreaking and I'm looking forward to your support and participation.

TEMECULA, Calif. - Outdoor Channel, America's Leader in Outdoor TV, today unveiled Outdoor Channel Corps, its latest effort to mobilize outdoor enthusiasts to "Serve and Conserve." As one of the largest conservation volunteer programs of its kind, this initiative will leverage the unmatched power of Outdoor Channel's brand to engage its loyal base of viewers to volunteer for a variety of outdoor-related projects. Outdoor Channel Corps aims to recruit one million volunteers in the next five years.

Outdoor Channel Corps' first big project will be organizing volunteers to restore and improve public lands, addressing the critical access issue that confronts hunters, anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts. Dubbed the Conservation Tour of Duty, the volunteer initiative is designed to help offset the lack of funds available to care for our public lands. According to a General Accounting Office (GAO) report, more than 50 million acres of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and U.S. Forest Service (USFS) have inadequate access. Through its Conservation Tour of Duty, Outdoor Channel Corps is determined to dramatically improve accessibility and restore our lands.

Outdoor Channel will work closely with state and federal agencies, its distribution affiliates and leading conservation and outdoor affinity partners to recruit volunteers and hold local Outdoor Channel Corps restoration and improvement events. The Conservation Tour of Duty will feature different hands-on volunteer projects including repairing stream banks, clearing trails, cleaning riverbeds and planting seedlings. Volunteer efforts will be tracked and can qualify as private matching funds desperately needed by state and federal agencies to receive federal matching dollars.

"Outdoor Channel's viewers are committed to conservation, and the launch of Outdoor Channel Corps is a great opportunity to leverage our strong viewer and partner relationships to positively impact people's ability to experience the great outdoors," said Denise Conroy-Galley Senior Vice President of Marketing & Research. "As the largest full-time network that has a sole focus on the outdoors, we are committed to preserving and improving our public lands. We encourage anyone with a passion for the outdoors to join in this effort and make a difference in protecting and improving our shared heritage."

Outdoor Channel Corps will kick off its efforts with an unprecedented consumer marketing campaign to recruit volunteers. The national campaign will feature top Outdoor Channel personalities in promotional spots on-air and online, encouraging viewers to participate. Outdoor Channel will also leverage the popularity of its Web site www.OutdoorChannel.com to enroll volunteers and inform them of upcoming Outdoor Channel Corps events.

I know that, Norm.

Already making plans for a major pow-wow on the Kankakee to invite stakeholders in the river, potential grantors for the film documentary, and proponents of the refuge.

Upstream restoration is on my radar big-time as of late.