Fishing more than one fly

aloomens

I have never tried it, but it seems like if you are going to use a bob....er... strike indicator, it might as well have a hook in it.

I can barely cast with one fly tied on. I can't imagine the mess if tried a double right now. It does seem like a good idea, though, and I plan to be good enough to try it next year.

Guest One More Cast

Quite often I'll fish a popper with a nymph on a dropper (12-18") tied to the bend of the popper hook....deadly for panfish.

If you attach a piece of tippet to your leader using a Double Surgeon's knot, leave one of the tag ends very long (again 12-18") and you can add a dropper fly there. Kinda hinkey to cast but effective.

There are other techniques that I use for trout. A hopper tied with a Copper John dropper rig is called the Hopper-Copper-Dropper and is hugly effective in the late summer. As a searching technique, I often rig a two dry fly rig or a double nymph rig.

Joseph

About the only time that I use two flies for warm water fishing is when I tie a small nymph off of the hook of a popper for bluegill fishing. The popper often It's fun when you have two fish on at the same time.

I haven't done a lot of trout fishing, but when I have, using two nymphs at a time works well. I went fishing with a guide in Colorado in early May this year and I caught a bunch of rainbow trout doubles. The advantage of using two nymphs is that you can fish two depth levels at the same time.

The downside of fishing two flies at one time is the tangles that you have to deal with. In order to minimize tangles, you need to open up your loop quite a bit. For smallie fishing with larger flies, I prefer an indicator rather than a floating fly because a round foam indicator seems to tangle less than a bulky smallie sized popper.

I fish 2 at a time often enough, usually if its slow. Small fly or nymph 12-15" below a streamer like a clouser. Have tried 2 clousers at a time & it casts OK if the dropper is short. Got two at a time on the kank like that a while ago. Eventually the dropper fouls or I break off the lower fly & I go back to one.

• 2 months later...

I first used a two fly pattern for Lake Erie steelhead fishing.

I have used it with some success with a nymph under a streamer in the spring and late fall or winter for smallies

I have also land a couple on a Hare Crawfish under a streamer in the dawn hours of summer.

I have but don't too often, typically I will to get a fly down and then run a lighter fly on the end(is that the dropper then?). I don't like it because I had too many foul hooked fish, like they throw the lead and get snagged on the dropper. I typically only do it for trout though. My casting is not good enough to cast multi-rigs frequently, there is a direct proportional relationship to the # of flies over 1 on your rig and the time you spend untangling. :rolleyes: