Central Illinois Fly Tyers Meeting November 14th

Rob G

Just want to get this out there officially, we'll be having our first fly tying get together on:

November 14th, Sunday, 1-4 PM at the Urbana Free Library, lower auditorium. 210 West Green Street, Urbana, Illinois 61801

We are planning on having a special guest tyer, Reggie Alexander from Indianapolis, who will be tying the historic Everette Drake's Wounded Minnow along with providing other fly tying instruction and history. Of course we'll have open time for tying / instruction of your other favorites as well. And finally we will be topping things off by grabbing a bite over at the Crane Alley bar and grill noted for their fine selection of adult beverages and fine burgers. Further details will be made known as they become available.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions but I'm hoping we can put together a nice sized group so as to welcome our guest tyer.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would give this a shameless bump and include a few words from Reggie Alexander, our guest tyer.

"Neither Cecil or Junior will be able make it so I have included a second fly.

The flies I will be doing are Everett Drake’s Wounded Minnow & Pat’s Popper.

Two simple deer hair flies which for many people is an oxymoron.

The Wounded Minnow is a bullet head fly developed by local tyer Everett Drake, who pasted away shortly after winning the Buszek Award in 1979.

The fist time I did the Wounded Minnow at a shown was at the 1997 FFF Conclave in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I use Tiemco 8089 size 10. My intent is to go through 3 hooks per person that is there, I’m bring finished flies for everyone there, and providing “blanks” for everyone.

We will build a blank from scratch then while the glue dries, use the blank I provide to build the Wounded Minnow and with the blank they made build a second.

If you’ll provide the hooks for building the blanks and replace the hooks for the finish fly and blank I provide, that will be even.

For the Pat’s Popper I use Tiemco 101 sizes 8 & 10. For the class I prefer 8’s but they are harder to find if we have to we can use the turned down eye 100.

Regarding deer hair I have ordered proper hair for the Minnow from Chris Helm and if they want to hang on the patches all that I ask is that my cost is covered.

For Pat’s Popper I use dyed belly hair. I have plenty for tying the flies Sunday but it’s my stash and will go back with me.Thead: I use Gudebrod GX2 and have a supply for Sunday.

For Pat’s Popper I like Roman Moser’s Power Silk but my supply is getting low.

I plan on having at least 10 sets of bullet head tools to the class to use. If someone wants to buy a set, for Sunday I will sell a set of six for $6.00, which covers the material cost.

The members need to bring a clamp to lock down a block of wood to the table. Their tying tools and vise. Super Glue and their head cement.

I have hair, hackle, Rainy Foam, instructions, bullet head tools.

Both of these flies are quick easy deer hair flies that cast easy."

Reggie

Please remember that you don't have to be an ISA member to be able to attend our fly tying sessions.

I won't be able to make this one. Sure wish I could because it sounds like fun! But we have a new grand-daughter and the wife & I are flying to Miami on Thursday to see the little bugger. We'll be back the following Thursday.

And yes, the 8 wt. is going with me... :P

Brian

I won't be able to make this one. Sure wish I could because it sounds like fun! But we have a new grand-daughter and the wife & I are flying to Miami on Thursday to see the little bugger. We'll be back the following Thursday.

And yes, the 8 wt. is going with me... :P

Brian

Congrats on the grand-daughter. It must be going around, we had a new one yesterday, but it will be easier to get to Indiana to see her. This makes 8 grand-daughters out of 10 grand-kids for us.

Just wanted to say what a nice time we had this afternoon tying with Reggie Alexander from Indy. We all learned to tie a couple really useful patterns and had a nice BBQ meal afterwards at a local watering hole. If you couldn't make this event, hopefully you will be able to join us on January 9 in Bloomington. A few photos below.

003-1.jpg?t=1289794945

008.jpg?t=1289795035