September 11 Vermilion River (Vermilion County) Outing

Saturday September 11: South Vermillion trip: Meet at truck stop just off of I-74 at the Oakwood exit at 8:00. Float and wade trip.

Just want to mention that I should be able to help out with this one since it will be on my local waters. Just let me know what I can do in order to make it a successful outing. Do you normally have a cook out at the end of the day at Kickapoo State Park?

• 3 weeks later...

No cookout planned. Sometimes we meet up after fishing and eat at a local establishment. Many times guys just hit the road after fishing.

Any word on how the Vermilion is looking, or any of it's "forks"? Is there going to be enough water to float this year?

Fred,

you can probably float much of the Salt Fork River but the Middle Fork is too low to float continuously. Of course that makes the Middle Fork quite nice for those that would like to wade. Not sure how many will attend but I can direct individuals to various points along the river for access if they are interested.

If I get there, which a tentatively plan to do, I want you to direct me to the fish, not the access points. ;)

Right now I'm trying to figure how to mount my little canoe onto my new used car. Not sure where to tie down a bow line on the front of the car...too much plastic, not enough hard steel.

I am heading to Taneycomo on Sunday, but since my wife is gone Friday night and Sat. a.m., I should be able to come over and try to fish, at least until noon or so.

Fred, I will do my best to put you on fish if you can make it. Now whether the bite is on, well that's a different story. Now be aware, I'm much more familiar and can be more helpful with the Middle Fork River than I am the SaltFork since I prefer to wade rather than paddle at this time of the year. The Saltfork does have a few decent access points for those who want to paddle though.

Though they're calling for possible rain on Saturday morning mostly before 1 PM, I forgot to mention that if there are those that are interested in floating the Salt Fork, I would be willing to run shuttle service more or less to get you back to your vehicle. Contact me and I can give you my cell phone if you don't plan on being at the truck stop at 8 AM.

Well, although the weather didn't look promising in the beginning, the rain did hold off and it turned out to be a nice day on the water for the couple ISA members that weren't scared off. Three hours on the Middlefork yielded about a dozen Smallies with the largest being a couple pound 15+ inch porker and several Rockies thrown in for good measure, all taken on an assortment of various flies.

For those that are interested, the central IL long rodders are looking to have a fly tying session with a professional guide and guest speaker on Sunday November 14th at the Urbana Library 1-4 PM. Though tentative at this time, more specifics will come later on so please keep in mind.