New member hello, and question...

Brad G

Hello! My names Brad and I'm a new member who just wanted to introduce myself. Don't know how many members there are in the central part of the state, but my wife and I live about 20 minutes south of Springfield. From what I've read so far this really looks like a great group and I'm really looking forward to meeting some members.

My question... My wife and I were planning on heading up to the Mackinaw River on Friday to do some wade-fishing. I've never been there before and was wanting to know if there is plenty of water to fish in the park, and also if anyone knew what the water conditions were like up there now? We've been getting quite a little rain here the past few days, but we're also about an hour and a half south.

Good to hear of members further south. I live within a short walk to the Mac, but up above Lake Bloomington. Where were you thinking of fishing? What park are you talking about? I've got to be in Pekin on business in the morning, and drive across the Mac on my way over and back. Lots of places we fish are accessed through private property, but we have had outings near the Town of Mackinaw on areas that are accessible. The Central IL division of ISA has an outing scheduled on Aug 14 on the Mac. Might be a way to meet folks and see sections of the river. Check the calendar for details.

Thanks guys. I've never been up there so I figured we'd just go up and check out the Mackinaw River State Fish and Wildlife Area. The DNR website lists the address as Nelson Road, in [or outside of] Mackinaw. Are there any other public access areas? I saw the notice about the outing on the 14th and am hoping I'll be able to make it up there. Sounds like fun.

Fred... yeah, we went up and fished, but lets just say I'm looking forward to the outing on the 14th so maybe I can figure out what I was doing wrong! We got blanked. I had three dinkers on that all came unbuttoned before they made it back to my hand. These were seriously like 4 or 5 inch fish. We fished near the canoe put-in, and then went down stream and fished near the bridge (off Coil road, I think). I tried several different soft plastics fished on an 1/8th oz Charlie Brewer pro slider head (3" grubs, 4" worms, etc). Also tried a Pop-R after seeing some fish hitting topwater at something under an overhanging tree. Nothing seemed to work. Had a great time though. I have been meaning to go fish that river for almost 15 years now, and had just never made it up. It was also a nice change of pace to fish a smaller stream.