QC Region Apple River outing This Sunday!

Because of high water, fast flows and poor visibility we will postpone the Quad City region outing scheduled at Apple River for this Sunday, June 27. Instead we will join the Rockford region at Apple River on Sunday, July 18. Because this is skinny water participation may be limited. Please contact Paul Trybul 815-703-2651 or Dave Jones 563-299-2759 to RSVP.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to Paul and Dave for organizing this day. I brought my new son-in-law, Alberto, along (who I am fast teaching the art of catch and release) and we went to a section down-river from the other 3 groups. Boy, am I glad we did. I had one of my best days ever with 32 in hand and Alberto managed 14 as well. The vast majority were 8-12 inches with two Creek Chubs, a 13" smallie, two 14"s, and a 15" thrown in for good measure. Those who have fished with me know what we employed. All were very feisty and the water was incredibly clear. We were whipped by 1:30PM. I don't think we covered even 1 mile of stream and virtually all were caught over 4 hours working downstream. It was steady all day combining for around 9 fish per hour- that's just plain fun. No rain- just oppressive heat. We also saw 2 goats navigating the cliffs above us and Alberto saw the remains of a Great Blue Heron.

That section would make a fine kayak trip some day.

Thanks to Paul for allowing the QC region to make up our Apple River outing today with the Rockford chapter. 12 participants, 6 from the QC region and 6 from either the Rockford or Chicago region. Several caught in excess of 30 each. A fine day in spite of the heat and bright sun light.

Dave J

There were 2 more that showed up late so we had 16 participants. My group had the tough hike to good water. We had some kids swimming in the 1st good spot and 2 other fisherman leapfroged us to fish waters ahead of us. It don't think we did as well as the other groups but we did C&R about 25 smallmouth and 5 creek chubs. I tried a bunch of different lures and techniques but nothing seemed to work better than anything else. I felt pretty worn out around 1pm and headed home. Thank you to everyone that participated to make this a successful outing.