Kink-Shank Popper Hooks for Clousers

Mark K

I love this website:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Mixed_Media.htm

Question for those of you that use the hook he recommends. It looks to me that the way he ties the eyes on they will ride above the shank. Wouldn't that make the fly less likely to ride hook up? Other models of hook the kink would be outside the bend making the eyes ride lower, therefore hang up less.

Seems like an awesome idea. The eyes will never turn.

If you haven't already check out the website. Lotta cool videos.

Mark, even a better idea for this pattern is the use of a Ringer, my interchangeable weighting system. You can use any hook style you like not just a kinked shank. The Ringer holds the dumbbell weight completely below the hook shank unlike when tied directly to the shank where it is just even with it. My system allows you to use even less weight and still make the hook ride point up due to a lower center of gravity. This lowered weight also opens up the entire hook gap for sure fire hook ups, the dumbbell does not fill in part of the hook gap. Also the Ringer allows the weight to twist from side to side when it encounters obstructions (like wedging between rocks)making it less prone to hang ups. Then on top of all that your weight is now interchangeable and you can quickly add or subtract weight from the fly as conditions demand. This is the ultimate fly weighting method and is compatible with just about any fly.

Mark,

The Ohio site is most excellent. Everyone should explore the riches there including the article about Rich's chenille creations. But, in regard to the kink shank hooks, I think there is a better way. I follow Craig's lead.

A while back I spemt a lot of time wondering if the use of the "double kink" shank hooks was the way to go. Then I saw the light or was brought to the light, whatever. In hooks for Clousers. the 60 deg Eagle Claw 410 or 413 or the 28 deg Mustad BLN is the way to go. Ideally you combine it with Craig's ringer tied on version 2.0. Craig's message already says what I would have said about that.

You should demand some more information if this is not clear. Because some of us have been in the thick of it, we may be assuming that "everybody knows."

Mark,

The Ohio site is most excellent. Everyone should explore the riches there including the article about Rich's chenille creations. But, in regard to the kink shank hooks, I think there is a better way. I follow Craig's lead.

A while back I spemt a lot of time wondering if the use of the "double kink" shank hooks was the way to go. Then I saw the light or was brought to the light, whatever. In hooks for Clousers. the 60 deg Eagle Claw 410 or 413 or the 28 deg Mustad BLN is the way to go. Ideally you combine it with Craig's ringer tied on version 2.0. Craig's message already says what I would have said about that.

You should demand some more information if this is not clear. Because some of us have been in the thick of it, we may be assuming that "everybody knows."

To answer your question, which no one has so far, the eyes are tied using the groove to hold the eyes as you tie them in and so, although the lead is tied below the shank, the weight is actually below the axis of the hook shank. This is because the kink is substantially below the hook shank axis or centerline. So, it's like tying a standard Clouser style fly but with the aid of the kink shank to help when tying the lead. I hope that makes sense.

Personally, I find that using a standard Mustad 3366 or similar hook style and "lashing" technique to tie the eyes on rather than a figure eight allows me to anchor the eyes so they don't rotate and are an integral part of the fly. Using a figure eight sometimes leads to a pinch point that actually allows the pressure of the thread to cut through the lead as you fish it and all of a sudden you find yourself without eyes. I used to have that problem occasionally. Using the lashing techniques completely eliminated this problem.

Dr. Mike,

"Figure eight" is something I think I understand. "Lashing" escapes me at this moment though it may be evident to others. Can you come back on "lashing?"