Carolina Rig

Fished northern Wisconsin and the U.P. for a few days, mostly Musky. When I did fish for smallmouth I was on a small lake wading. The carolina rig gave me the distance to get out deeper and locate some fish on a small island or bar. In the U.P. I was on a big lake mostly sand bottom and again used the carolina rig to make long casts and quickly cover lots of water. When the sinker would hit rocks you'd get a bite. I'm headed out today and may try some carolina rigging in the river. I think that there maybe some good cold water applications for this method. Anybody carolina rigging? Nice fishing up north , tough to come back. No place to buy cheese curds around here.

Phil

Nose hook or wacky rig the plastic with a circle hook to elimanate gut hooking. It will also elimanate the need to set the hook on longer casts, just tighten up and don't allow slack.

Picked up a couple fish. A nice one on the carolina rig. Used a 3/8 ounce sinker. You get a real good feel of the bottom without snagging. I only use barbless hooks so a gut hooked fish comes unhooked easily by rotating the hook around. This can be done by reaching through the fishes gills with a forceps. The potential for gut hooking is there if you don't manage your line.

Going to give the carolina rig a try this winter out in the main flow. I'm not totally satisfied with the drop shot especially when you have to cover a lot of water, too slow.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Fished northern Wisconsin and the U.P. for a few days, mostly Musky. When I did fish for smallmouth I was on a small lake wading. The carolina rig gave me the distance to get out deeper and locate some fish on a small island or bar. In the U.P. I was on a big lake mostly sand bottom and again used the carolina rig to make long casts and quickly cover lots of water. When the sinker would hit rocks you'd get a bite. I'm headed out today and may try some carolina rigging in the river. I think that there maybe some good cold water applications for this method. Anybody carolina rigging? Nice fishing up north , tough to come back. No place to buy cheese curds around here.

Phil

Don't know what "around here" means, but the Ropps on White Oak Road, south of the west boat dock at lake Evergreen, north of Bloomington/Normal, sell cheese curds. They are dairy folks who also make cheese. Several of the area restaurants now sell their products or serve them.