FOLLOWUP- Military Kids Day 2009

One again, we were blessed with a gorgeous day for fishing and conservation at Herrick Lake. Nearly 150 kids registered, which is a manageable number as we are coming to realize.

20 hard-core ISA volunteers gave their day for the cause of mentoring the next generation of conservationists and received a great deal of praise for their efforts from all involved.

A special thanks goes out to our Bassbuggers for tying special pins for all the kids.

It was a big hit among the attendees.

Our original intention was to do a little casting and focus more on teaching, but when 60 kids all converge at once in shifts, it became apparent they had one thing in mind- casting at those targets.

We also stuffed the goodie bag with conservation literature and goodies to sweeten the pot.

What I will say is that this thing has become like a well-oiled machine at this point.

These volunteers just step right in and do what they are accustomed to doing for many years.

No leadership necessary, just a simple "Well, let's get to it" is all that is required and it's business as usual with people jumping right in.

Mark Kasik managed to save a painted turtle from certain doom (I'll let him tell the story), and let it walk around among our visitors. A really cool touch that added to the educational aspect greatly and the kids really got a kick out of it.

Dan Basore provided his always intriguing personal collection of antique lures that never cease to amaze.

Bob Maciulis personally delivered bundles of the Outdoor Notebook and met the group he has so steadfastly promoted for this cause over the years.

Here are some snapshots put together hastily from the cell phone photos.

An official video version is forthcoming from the real cameras.

Thanks again to all that pour their hearts and souls into this project each and every year.....and don't be mistaken, the job of creating a conservation mindset to protect and preserve beyond our living years is indeed a "project" in the making, not an event.

0822091207.jpg

0822091221a.jpg

0822091205.jpg

0822091205a.jpg

0822091228.jpg

0822091251.jpg

0822091254a.jpg

0822091215.jpg

Guest rich mc

Glad to be a part of it again. Met some members that i never seen before and enjoyed talking with them. Even fished with a few later on the West Branch and we caught Smallies. Made it home in time for Church and sent a message to Sgt Tommy. It was an enjoyable day. Rich

Glad to be a part of it again. Met some members that i never seen before and enjoyed talking with them. Even fished with a few later on the West Branch and we caught Smallies. Made it home in time for Church and sent a message to Sgt Tommy. It was an enjoyable day. Rich

Interesting that you mention that, Rich.

I learned recently that Sgt. Gilbert is buried in Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, which is minutes from My BIL's house.

I plan to visit very soon for a private moment.

Sgt. Gilbert changed my life and I never knew him.

Speaking of the upcoming video, the soundtrack will be from a group called Gaelic Storm.

They did a CD devoted to returning soldiers, and a verse of one song was devoted to Tommy specifically.

...and I do have some actual video to incorporate this time.

Sneak peek:

Mother of Mercy.

http://new.music.yah...ercy--207079547

Really good stuff.

Nice job Mike.

I was walking around the lake getting a feel for the situation. I walked by a guy baitfishing and noticed he had a large turtle (actually a red ear slider, I think) lying on it's back. I asked what he was going to do to it. His reply was "He keeps biting my line". I told him I thought he should let it go or better yet, just give it to me. Actually, I have no idea what he was going to do to it, but he was cool about it and just gave it to me. Saving me from pulling a "turtle-jacking" on him. Grab the thing and run like Walter Payton. :-)

Anyway, after goin to a few of the Chicago Herp Society Shows, I learned that kids love critters.

So I brought it back and handled it for an hour or so while all the kids got a close up look. The turtle was pretty big and rather "cranky" so I couldn't let them touch it, but all the same, I think they got a kick out of it.

My family came by later and they had a fine time too.

Thanks again.