short rod shoot out report

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

i just wanted to Thank john Loebach for putting this great event together. it was well attended and met all my expectations and more. learning about the new rods and casting them put alot of questions to rest. they are for specific flies and distance and are just what i need for casting the worm flies.

learning and feeling the differance of the rio clouser and outbound lines on several rods was impressing.

and Thanks to Joseph for showing me a better cast when using the heavier fly .of all the rods i like the short tfo ticr rod best and the ross 6wt, the redington predator is also fine.

best of all short rods are fun to cast and should be more fun with a fish on the end. it was so nice to see so many fly anglers discussing many things especially joe cornwall from flyfishohio. . Great job John rich

I wish I could have made the event. I picked up (as in held) the 7'-6" TFO at the shop and was amazed at how light it was in comparison to the Sage. I have been thinking about picking up a short rod specifically for fishing from my bro's bass boat in FL. I like to throw the big bugs in the pads on the St. John's. You sure need to get those bass outta the cover quickly down there.

Thanks to all who attended - largest draw at an outdoor Bassbugger event on my watch. Stat 34 signed in & we probably missed a few, 13 featured new short rods in demand( rack empty) for 2 1/2 hours til the rain moved us on to lunch. More than 13 members rods available as well. Thanks to Joseph & his reps we were testing Sage Bass series rods as well as TFO, Reddington & Ross. Also two new Bob Clouser TFO models that arrived on the market for the first time last week. Joe Cornwall (Fly Fish Ohio. com) came the farthest & brought some very nice glass rods with him. I'd like some feedback on which model was your favorite. Mine was first the Sage Bluegill & almost a tie for first the TFO TiCRX 7-6" 8 wt. - Best value or great backup rod the Ross 6 wt. Very timley & educational event, if you missed it look for the Cast & compare outing in October.

Guest airbornemike

This was a very cool event for anyone debating the purchase of a "niche fly rod" in this catagory. To be able to test cast all these fly rods, on moving water, flys attatched with wind and other ellements you deal with on the river is truely unique. The spey fishing community does a simular event called claves, only on a bit larger scale. The organizers of the shoot out should be applauded for having the forsight to put togather a great event right in the ISA's back yard, great job! and thank you.

Guest airbornemike

My favs in order...Scotts warm water..Sage bluegill and smallmouth..Ross both 6 and 8wt were a close tie with TFOs mangrove. I wasnt to crazy about the new Clouser sticks and Redingtons predator didnt working for me. The name escapes me but the new green glass rod that was there was very nice casting.

7'6" seems too short for an 8wt. I would think their use would be limited to short casts using short heavy leaders in order to muscle fish out of heavy cover. In testing these rods did you guys cast them with big wind resistant lmb size flies?