Some Hot Carp Flies

Although I tied these flies for carp, they're also very effective on smallmouth.

carpflies8-1-09001.jpg

carpflies8-1-09003.jpg

carpflies8-1-09005.jpg

carpflies8-1-09006.jpg

carpflies8-1-09007.jpg

carpflies8-1-09008.jpg

carpflies8-1-09011.jpg

carpflies8-1-09012.jpg

carpflies8-1-09013.jpg

carpflies8-1-09015.jpg

carpflies8-1-09017.jpg

carpflies8-1-09018.jpg

carpflies8-1-09020.jpg

steve, is one in particular you would like to see the steps for??? I guess I could share some of my top secrect info ;) ha ha, I dont keep secrects I want everyone to catch fish!!!

Joe

mike, most of them are tied on a 200R which is my favorite hook for most of the flies I tie. the others are on a 2 or 3 x short shank hook not a jig hook. as far as the designs go, they came from my own little toy factory of a mind :P . I steal ideas from several different patterns and then put my own spin on it and try to convey to the vise what I think might interest the fish. if nothing else it keeps it interesting. keep in mind I only post the ones that turn out good. you dont see the pile of, for lack of a better term "abortions" that I have created :lol: beleive me there are plenty. I dont always know excactly how a fly will turn out when I start it unless I have tied it before. sometimes my tying bench is more like Dr. Frankenstiens laboritory :blink: !!!! in the end it is very rewarding to catch a fish not only on a fly you tied, but one you designed as well. by the way, how is your new vise treating you?? how do you like the rotory feature?? personally I would never want to tie on a non-rotory vise again thats how much I like my vise. they have a few videos out on tying with a rotory vise that I've wanted to take a peek at to see what else I can learn. I am completely self taught on fly tying so I'm always looking to see what else I can learn. good tying.

Joe

steve, is one in particular you would like to see the steps for??? I guess I could share some of my top secrect info ;) ha ha, I dont keep secrects I want everyone to catch fish!!!

Joe

Catch and release, that is! While all are worthy of special consideration, Joe . . . the first and last appears to replicate the look of crawfish, the favorite prey of smallies in rivers. Preachin' to the choir, I'm sure. Thanks in advance . . . most appreciative!

steve, no problem. let me get some pics togather and get it all in order and I'll get it up for you. and yes the two you are refering to are craw patterns and the smallies do love'em. originally I tied them for carp as crawfish are at the top of their diet as well. since then alot of smallie guys have ordered them from me. it is one of my most popular patterns. it must suck to be a crawfish because everything that swims wants to eat you :lol: the difference in the two patterns posted is size. the last one is what I call a micro craw, that is why I put the coin in the pic for reference. I think I did a step by step here before, I know I did it for john graham with my "crawbug" pattern.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...