Fishing Flies Without A Fly Rod

SKollmann

Heading up to Canada for a week of primarily walleye fishing . . . taking along bait casting and spin casting rods. While I'm there on Eagle Lake, also want to try my hand with a few smallmouth bass and large northern/muskie flies that I've tied, but don't want to take another rod along since we're limited in the amount of baggage we can store.

Question . . . what type of rig would accommodate casting flies on spin or bait casting rods? Have never attempted, but would like to give it a shot. Thanks for your input.

I agree with Alan. Take the spinning gear and a fly rod. Most spinning rigs come with two spools, so load one spool with your favorite line for smallies, the other spool with heavier line for pike. The fly gear is a blast to use for pike. Smallies too, for that matter. With the fly gear, it's lots more work to land them, but you'll still catch loads of fish, being in Canada. And sometimes when they won't take regular tackle, fish will respond to the right fly.

Good luck, and have fun!

Guest rich mc

or make the flies with weight or material that will holdwater . then you can cast them on spinning gear. use larger eyes on a clouser and or add lead wire wraps . i do it alot . rich

My suggestion is to do whatever you need to do to take your fly rod even if it means packing less underwear or leaving your casting rod at home. You can go out during the day and fish hard with conventional tackle for walleye, pike, and bass. Then have an early dinner and make it your goal to find some areas where there is an evening smallie top water bite that you can hit with your fly rod.

Mid summer can be the peak time for top water smallmouth fishing. That is, in my opinion, one of the advantages of fishing in a place like Eagle Lake in mid summer. If conditions are right and if you can find the right spots, you could have some of the best top water fly fishing that you will ever experience. I have been lucky enough to hit it right two times in Canada (both times in July) where I caught smallies like crazy with fly rod poppers and out fished my non fly fishing buddies by an 8 to 1 margin. You will want to kick yourself if you come across a good top water smallmouth bite in Canada without a fly rod.

I have been on several fly in trips to Canada and I have always been able to find the room in both the car and float planes to carry at least two conventional rods and a fly rod. A fly rod and reel and and couple of fly boxes don't take up that much room.

run them as a trailer from a spinnerbait or swim jig. You'll have to sort of lob your casts though. I rigged up soft hackles behind Beetlespins for my daughter(when she was 5) so she could catch potatochip sized bluegill in a park pond without using bait and a bobber.