6/27,6/30,7/1 fishing report

ronk

Smallie fished 6/27.Although low the river was murky, a good thing since it keeps the weeds in check.All I got for an afternoon's effort was 1 tiny lmb and 1 16" smb.Even "The Spot" where the last 3 times out produced 17+" smallies was fishless. Fished topwater the entire time.Might've done better going subsurface but I doubt it.

With river smallie fishing being slow I decided to take advantage of the heavy cloud cover good for lmb fishing and again went floatubing for lmb on 6/30.I haven't done much of it in recent years even though I enjoy it as much as smallie stream fishing because results were poor.Have done more of it this year with improved results.Fished a swimming frog the entire afternoon.Although I hit only 4 all were good size.Caught 2 at 17 + 17.75" and lost 2 in the lily pads, 1 on the strike and 1 that tangled me up in the pads after a water clearing jump.When fishing lmb around cover you can expect to lose some even with an 8wt.It becomes a fun tug of war with the big guys.

With the clouds holding I returned on 7/1 expecting another productive outting.Not so.Got only 1 decent size at 16". The other 2 were only about 12 or 13". That's fishing.

Smallie fished 6/27.Although low the river was murky, a good thing since it keeps the weeds in check.All I got for an afternoon's effort was 1 tiny lmb and 1 16" smb.Even "The Spot" where the last 3 times out produced 17+" smallies was fishless. Fished topwater the entire time.Might've done better going subsurface but I doubt it.

With river smallie fishing being slow I decided to take advantage of the heavy cloud cover good for lmb fishing and again went floatubing for lmb on 6/30.I haven't done much of it in recent years even though I enjoy it as much as smallie stream fishing because results were poor.Have done more of it this year with improved results.Fished a swimming frog the entire afternoon.Although I hit only 4 all were good size.Caught 2 at 17 + 17.75" and lost 2 in the lily pads, 1 on the strike and 1 that tangled me up in the pads after a water clearing jump.When fishing lmb around cover you can expect to lose some even with an 8wt.It becomes a fun tug of war with the big guys.

With the clouds holding I returned on 7/1 expecting another productive outting.Not so.Got only 1 decent size at 16". The other 2 were only about 12 or 13". That's fishing.

nice stringer

• 2 weeks later...

Caught a 17" lmb fishing the lily pads on 7/14.As I put him on the stringer I saw that he already had a hole in his jaw behind the lower lip clearly indicating that I'd caught/stringered him before. Based on his size this would've been on 6/30.It also clearly indicates what I was trying to tell you guys that stringering a bass that way when floatubing does him no harm of any consequence.Am unable to post his pic as having just gotten this GD computer back from the repair shop for a blue screen problem now it won't transfer pics from the camera.I can now only get a pic by connecting the camera to the printer.

Problem solved.