buzzbaits and rain

Norm M

I was on a smoking hot buzzbait bite today in the waterwillows, 45 minutes and going strong, until the raindrops started falling. I mean barely a drizzle but it was like flipping a switch the smallies just flat out stopped on the buzzbait.

I switched to a crankbait and immediately started getting bit again. I fished the same spots in the beds, alongside the beds, the washout holes below the beds and the current seam out from the bed.

I went back to the buzzbait, nada. Tie on the crankbait fish on again. The only change in the conditions was the rain. Now I don't fish buzzbaits as much as I should, cranks are higher on my confidence scale to be sure. I was just wondering if those that use buzzbaits more have noted this reaction.

Then again maybe it's just the fish being contary and humbling me when I finally start thinking I'm some sort of punkins with the buzzer.

I was on a smoking hot buzzbait bite today in the waterwillows, 45 minutes and going strong, until the raindrops started falling. I mean barely a drizzle but it was like flipping a switch the smallies just flat out stopped on the buzzbait.

I switched to a crankbait and immediately started getting bit again. I fished the same spots in the beds, alongside the beds, the washout holes below the beds and the current seam out from the bed.

I went back to the buzzbait, nada. Tie on the crankbait fish on again. The only change in the conditions was the rain. Now I don't fish buzzbaits as much as I should, cranks are higher on my confidence scale to be sure. I was just wondering if those that use buzzbaits more have noted this reaction.

Then again maybe it's just the fish being contary and humbling me when I finally start thinking I'm some sort of punkins with the buzzer.

Maybe the noise of the rain drowned out the annoyance factor. Who can ever know?

It could be they just didn't like the rain falling on the surface of the water and moved deeper to avoid it. It bothered them for sure and will be something to remember and experiment with next time you get on a Buzzbait bite like that. Now I am wondering also if the Crankbait bite was there all the time but you were unaware of it because you had fish hitting the Buzzbait. Then the rain came and moved the Buzzbait fish off and you switching to a Crankbait started catching the Crankbait fish. Questions, Questions, Questions, with no real answers.

I haven't tried a buzzbait on the river yet. Are you guys working them upstream or down? 1/4 ounce? Any special spots work better than others? Thanks Bill

Don't wait. Buzzbaits can be the most productive lure from June to October for stream smallmouth bass. I catch a few hundred smallmouth bass a year on buzzbaits. Cast everywhere and cover water, drag over and through cover.

William C and I did pretty well on them during the guided trip I donated last year. We caught about 70 that day.

Here's an article I wrote a while back. 1/4ozers dual rotating buzzers catch all sized fish, go bigger and slower near dark and for true monsters.

stream buzzbait fishing

There really are few lures more fun to cast, work, and catch fish on. Since buzzbaits are virtually snagless, you will pull fish out of cover you can't throw most lures into.

In addition, buzzbaits often get bit when other lures don't get a sniff. The noise annoys mean 'ole Mr. Bass into striking.

edit: whoops, wrong article. Fixed.

Experienced the same thing with largemouth in the past.

We were on a hot buzz bite at Braidwood years ago, a storm came through and they cut off cold turkey.

After it passed, topwaters were even hotter.

Been told that the flash on top of the water resembles lightning, which everyone knows fish hate anyway.

That's one theory, I suppose.

It could be they just didn't like the rain falling on the surface of the water and moved deeper to avoid it. It bothered them for sure and will be something to remember and experiment with next time you get on a Buzzbait bite like that. Now I am wondering also if the Crankbait bite was there all the time but you were unaware of it because you had fish hitting the Buzzbait. Then the rain came and moved the Buzzbait fish off and you switching to a Crankbait started catching the Crankbait fish. Questions, Questions, Questions, with no real answers.

Gary ,

That's the beauty of fishing, every "solution" is just a step in the direction of more questions.

Don't wait. Buzzbaits can be the most productive lure from June to October for stream smallmouth bass. I catch a few hundred smallmouth bass a year on buzzbaits. Cast everywhere and cover water, drag over and through cover.

William C and I did pretty well on them during the guided trip I donated last year. We caught about 70 that day.

Here's an article I wrote a while back. 1/4ozers dual rotating buzzers catch all sized fish, go bigger and slower near dark and for true monsters.

stream buzzbait fishing

There really are few lures more fun to cast, work, and catch fish on. Since buzzbaits are virtually snagless, you will pull fish out of cover you can't throw most lures into.

In addition, buzzbaits often get bit when other lures don't get a sniff. The noise annoys mean 'ole Mr. Bass into striking.

edit: whoops, wrong article. Fixed.

Thank you! I'm going add buzzbaits to my arsenal. ;)