Suggestions on Locations

DanHarper

Hi folks,

This is my first posting, although I love to read the postings of others. ISA is a great organization and the website and forums are terrific.

I am going out this Friday with my son and a buddy (both avid sportsmen and nature lovers). We normally fish the DuPage from Naperville to Shorewood. We are looking for a change in scenery and can drive a "couple hours" from the Naperville area. We are also thinking about taking canoes and doing a float. Any suggestions on a nice stretch of water with a place to put in? We thought we might float and also hop out to do some wading.

We initially considered the Kish, but I read a post that the water is expected to be muddy. Thoughts on this? Where is a good stretch on this river and where could we put in? Can the kish be waded, or is it too deep?

Any help/thoughts would be apprreciated. PM me if you have specific information. AND,

Thanks a bunch.

Dan

Guest rich mc

the kish is very muddy still in dekalb, i would pass on it for aweekand hope we dont get dumped on again. shabbona lake is getting hot and a canoe can do very well there.

How about the Middle Fork of the Vermilion (the Wabash watershed) just east of Danville, near Oakwood? Haven't looked at the USGS for water flows, but it has been fairly reasonable this spring, compared to other spots.

How about the Middle Fork of the Vermilion (the Wabash watershed) just east of Danville, near Oakwood? Haven't looked at the USGS for water flows, but it has been fairly reasonable this spring, compared to other spots.

Oops! That's just WEST of Danville, and the USGS shows the water is down so it might be good for wading or floating.

If water is up, scout for feeder creeks running clear a few days after rain. Then fish the clearer slack water below the clear inflow on the main channel. Feeders bring in food and the bass can see them better.

Hit a bunch of spots like this and catch fish when others stay home.

So I'm curious....where did you end up fishing last Friday? How was it?

Fished Shabonna most of the day. Caught upwards of 20 walleye one lake perch, one lmg, one crappie. Saw a huge muskie making for my chatterbait, but no hit. Fished for about 2 hours in the Fox at Montgomery. really had no business being in the water, it was high and fast (and dirty). Skunked, but it felt good to be in the water.